midi combo commands and Long Presses

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

RePete

midi combo commands and Long Presses

Post by RePete »

I think I have the latest command list:
http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/doc_m ... mands.html
I count 8 commands that contain "_or_", I think these are the so-called "combo commands", but no mention of "Long Press".

[cmd] record_or_overdub
Record if nothing has been recorded, otherwise it overdubs.

[cmd] record_or_overdub_excl
Same as record_exclusive except it records if nothing has been recorded, otherwise it overdubs.

[cmd] record_or_overdub_excl_next
Same as record_exclusive_next except it records if nothing has been recorded on loop it selects , otherwise it overdubs.

but
[cmd] record_or_overdub_excl_prev
Same as record_exclusive_prev except it records if nothing has been recorded on loop it selects , otherwise it overdubs.

[cmd] record_or_overdub_solo
Same as record_or_overdub but sets the loop to solo too.

[cmd] record_or_overdub_solo_next
Same as record_or_overdub_solo but selects the next loop before beginning recording or overdub. Pressing it a second time will stop recording or overdubbing, select the next loop, set it to solo and begin recording or overdubbing.

[cmd] record_or_overdub_solo_prev
Same as record_or_overdub_solo_next but selects the previous loop instead.

[cmd] record_or_overdub_solo_trig
Same as record_or_overdub_solo but re-triggers loop if it was muted.

and perhaps ?
[cmd] record_overdub_end_solo
Like record_or_overdub_solo but goes straight out of record into overdub on the second press.

Then there are the "Press and Hold MIDI bindings" for which I can not find a list
http://www.essej.net/slforum/viewtopic.php?p=6675#p6675

I have Sooper Looper running in Ubuntu Studio, and have gotten the G7 key on my midi keyboard to initiate "Record"
but would really like to discover the "Tribal Knowledge" behind key bindings so I can optimize use of the available keys.

Help? List and functional description of midi strings from a working foot pedal ?
Thanks in advance
:ugeek: - do again, either once or a number of times.
jesse

Re: midi combo commands and Long Presses

Post by jesse »

For all of the record_or_overdub-* ones, a long-press does an Undo All, reseting the looper to empty (can be redo'd).

You'll probably have to experiment to see what commands you find the most useful for your particular style of looping....
RePete

Re: midi combo commands and Long Presses

Post by RePete »

Jesse -
Thank you for the response, and for maintaining this wonderful software.

Two things since I posted:
  1. I have become the proud owner of a Behringer FCB1010, more than I need, but on Craigslist a price I could not pass up
  2. I found a discussion on this list that illustrated more subtleties of command binding.
    Verse-Chorus, mute, trigger
I can see I have a lot to learn, and develop a "looping Style" on the fly.
:ugeek: - do again, either once or a number of times.