SL as Slave BPM drifts?

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

Concussion

SL as Slave BPM drifts?

Post by Concussion »

When setting SL up to receive MTC from an external hardware source the BPM drifts up and down slightly. Is this supposed to happen? Is there something that can prevent this from happening?
For example I am receiving a steady 130bpm but it drifts on SL from 129.6 to 130.4.

Another question that I have is can SL receive start/stop messages so that is knows when to trigger the record? If I hit record on my peddle before the loop starts is there a way to make it only start recording at the beginning of the actual loop that it is receiving from the external source? I know I can time it and hit it on the beginning beat, but queuing it up to activate the record on it's own when the time is right would be great.

And regarding stop. Can SL receive ALL STOP messages from the external source so that it stops the loop, and then starts the loop again when the external source is fired up once more?

I'm having a blast with this program, but these were just a few items that I haven't figured out, or wasn't sure if they were possible.

I'm on Ubuntu Hardy.

Thanks
Concussion

Re: SL as Slave BPM drifts?

Post by Concussion »

ok for the queuing I think that I found that it does do this correct? I've gotten it to flash the record and it says waiting to record, then it kicks in to record with a solid record button.
So maybe I'm missing the other items in my above post as well?
jesse

Re: SL as Slave BPM drifts?

Post by jesse »

In the Preferences->Latency/Misc tab you'll find settings that will force a trigger and pause on incoming midi start and stop events.
As for the jittery midi sync from external hardware... some of that is how the sync code works, where it does average the timing of incoming midi events, but maybe not enough or in as elegant a way as possible. In practice, you can try enabling both 'sync' and 'play sync' so that loops recorded based on the jittery input timing will get periodically retriggered on playback so they don't start drifting out. I agree that it isn't ideal.