No MIDI Clock/Jack Sync as Standalone

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

wayneal

No MIDI Clock/Jack Sync as Standalone

Post by wayneal »

Greetings-I'm new to the forum..I just got things Looping with SL v1.6.13. Running PwrBookG4 OSX.4.11 MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface and VXPocket Digigram Hrdwre...various controllers

SL is not finding any MIDI clock when syncto is set to MIDI Clock or Jack/Host
Reason and other apps find this interface and lock. What must be done in SL? Jack MIDI setup is correct.

I'm running SL stand alone to be slaved with external clock for live performance with band.

Please let me know what I've overlooked. The program works well, but loops get out of sync when manipulated also, overall slipping is experienced on all recordings, not sure if it's a setting issue, the need for a footpedal controller or what?

Thanks for the great work,
Neal
jesse

Re: No MIDI Clock/Jack Sync as Standalone

Post by jesse »

So, I assume you are using MIDI Patchbay to connect your midi interface(s) to SL's midi input? You need make sure to go to the Other tab in midi patchbay and enable the "Allow MIDI clock and realtime messages" option for it to route the clock. This is not the default setting. I'm guessing this is it, but let me know if not.... we can delve into the SL side of things if necessary.

jlc
wayneal

Re: No MIDI Clock/Jack Sync as Standalone

Post by wayneal »

Oh yes....I downloaded MIDI Patchbay and neglected to connect it...Big Thanks.. :roll:

MIDI clock is seen, instruments are locked and SL sees the sync..now the connections get more complicated for routing with options....SL doesn't seem to want to change from MIDI Clock to syncto Loop on the fly, (even when clock messages stop)...things crash and crash hard! I don't know if I can attribute that to my computer or?....SL works best standalone on my system, in Live the sound quality suffers badly and the tempo drags. I would like to know if anyone is running Reason slaved to SL or vice versa.

Is there anyway to set latency defaults to the last used settings?

There is a lot of setup with softwares to get things going:
SysPrefs (setup sound)>JACK (start engine)>SL(launch)>MIDI Patchbay (route MIDI to SL)>JACK (route audio i/o to SL) >SL(setup)

Did I miss anything, is the order right? (it works) Is there an easier way? I still have alot to sort out on how SL behaves and if I can rely on it it for stage....and if my PwrBookG4 can hack it. It does run stable.
Does SL work inside of ProTools environment? As an RTAS or TDM someday maybe? That would blow them all way!

I have seen some great custom MIDI foot controllers-my favorite, the MIDI Foot. Do you recommend the MIDI Buddy floor controller by Rolls? Any one in particular?

Looking Forward to new updates and info.

Thanks again,
Neal

Things Have come a Long Way since Les Pauls' Multi-Tracker