How to MIDI assign 1/2 and x2 buttons when using SL AU?

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

toma

How to MIDI assign 1/2 and x2 buttons when using SL AU?

Post by toma »

Hi, im running SL as an audio unit in Logic, and my MIDI controller is a KORG nanokontrol 2.

Im managing to control SL through Logic nicely, but can only control 'rate' as a sliding scale. There appears to be no option for the 1/2 and x2 buttons on the SL interface to be assigned this way.

so, i ctrl clicked the buttons in SL and it asks if you wish to MIDI assign them, which i do, but MIDI assign in SL appears to need the Nanokontrol to be connected directly, and not through logic. Is there a way that i can access these functions without having to use something like MIDI patchbay?

I tried to use the Nanokontrol software, but again it seems to need MIDI patchbay or something similar to connect it to SL.

Any help would be most useful

Cheers

Toma
jesse

Re: How to MIDI assign 1/2 and x2 buttons when using SL AU?

Post by jesse »

You should be able to pass midi events through to the plugin from Logic, but I may be wrong, as I'm not that familiar with it. It might depend on the kind of track you inserted it on, you should be able to insert it on a midi track, and get the audio input and output via sidechains (at least that is how it works in Live). If you get that working you can do the binding in SL directly and you can set up those exact rate setting bindings (either through the control-click way, or manually in the preferences, midi binding page).
toma

Post by toma »

Thanks Jesse.

Yes, im running it in a MIDI channel as a MIDI controlled effect and getting the audio in with sidechains and out with AUX channels (so i can apply seperate fx to the different loops) and thats all working fine.

The thing im not managing to do is get SL to learn any MIDI controls at all. I can learn MIDI controls in Logic by viewing the 'controls; view in the same window i bring in the sidechain. however that is all done in logic.

When i click 'learn' in the SL MIDI preferences and rotate the required slider on the Nanokontrol nothing happens. I can manually tell the SL MIDI what channel to use, but even then the Kontrol doesn't seem to be talking to it.

I guess what my problem is Controlling SL MIDI via Logic works fine, but controlling MIDI in SL itself seems not to work (which is the problem as i want to specifically have the 1/2 and x2 on buttons!)

am i just being dense and missing something obvious? or is there a problem with how my Nanokontrol and SL are talking to each other?

Cheers

Toma
jesse

Post by jesse »

I assume the midi input on the logic midi track that SL is inserted on is set appropriately to get the nanocontrol events? You may have to turn on midi input monitoring on that track to get it to feed the events into SL all the time. Again, I can't tell you exactly how that would be done in Logic...
toma

Post by toma »

Hi Jesse, thanks for your hep with this, i have not managed to set this up exactly how i would like it, but its close.

One thing i would say if any Logic users are reading this is to try running it in ableton. I got ableton Intro and set up SL exactly how i wanted with multiple ins/outs and everything MIDI mapped to my Korg Nanokontrol and it only took about 20 minutes.

Its a shame that abletons plugins are so geared to DJ performance styles, as for ambient music, logics plug ins are way better, but for ease of use, seriously, just set it up in ableton.

Cheers

Toma