MIDI binding for BOSS RC-20XL emulation mode

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

steph23

MIDI binding for BOSS RC-20XL emulation mode

Post by steph23 »

Hello,

I'm willing to configure Sooperlooper so that it works like the famous Boss two pedals unit. Has anybody ever achieved this before ? I would like to read about it. I read some interesting hread on here where Jesse said he would include some stop/retrigger function. This will definitely help. Looking forward to reading from you guys.

--
Steph
JeffHendricks

Re: MIDI binding for BOSS RC-20XL emulation mode

Post by JeffHendricks »

It sounds interesting, though I'm not 100% familiar with the RC-20 button functions. What would you be controlling it with, and what exactly does the RC-20 do that SL doesn't? I'm using it more like an RC-50, with 3 loops at a time, but I have plenty of buttons to do what I want with it.

Are you specifically looking to control it with only 2 buttons?
steph23

Post by steph23 »

Well actually, I used to own an Echoplex and always thought there were way too many buttons. I like to keep things simple. KISS philosophy sort of thing. One of my most favorite looper is the Akai Headrush because indeed, it's so simple to use. I guess the RC-20 is simple too since it can be operated with only 2 buttons (though I Never owned one myself because it doesn't looks like much bang for the buck).

Anyway, I would, indeed, like to be able to operate SooperLooper with only 2 buttons. I guess 3 buttons is ok too (especially now that one can get one of those 3 buttons usb midi foot controllers for so cheap). Too many buttons can be intimidating for beginners so maybe, having such an alternative to the full featured Echoplex emulation mode could be likely to meet the needs of such a public.

Pretty much, I would like to have play/stop on button one. rec/overdub on button 2. Button 3 would need to be erase loop. This is actually a pretty limited set of control I admit but I would like it so. I'm not sure if long presses (or simultaneous presses) can be handled through midi but this could considerably improve the situation.

Thanks for your interest.

--
Steph
JeffHendricks

Post by JeffHendricks »

This is definitely doable, at least with the newest version of SL.

Button 1 (play/stop) would need to be mapped to [mute_trigger] which essentially does the same thing.
Button 2 would be mapped to [record_or_overdub] which I think only does record if the loop is empty, otherwise is overdub.
Button 3 would be mapped to [undo_all] if you wanted to completely erase the loop, or just [undo] if you wanted to be able to roll back changes one at a time.

This is totally doable.