UMI3 plus SooperLooper

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

rseymour

UMI3 plus SooperLooper

Post by rseymour »

Hi All,

Thanks for creating such a cool piece of software Jesse. I'm planning on using SooperLooper + a Presonus FireBox + steel guitar, mic, cello & regular guitar + the UMI3 in a new project (with a really offensive name I shall not mention here) ... we'll be performing in LA on Jan 11th.

I just got the UMI3 in the mail: http://www.logidy.com/

It's an inexpensive ($50) sturdy little USB powered footswitch. Just 3 switches, but it is able to have multiple scenes stored. So for example, what I was playing with last night was having the 3rd button switch the first two through 3 scenes...

scene 1:
1: select loop
2: mute loop
scene 2:
1: record
2: overdub
scene 3:
1: reverse
2: undo

I realize these aren't the best mappings, but all in all it was rather easy to do. I might use the note on/note off to get slightly finer grain control, but I'm interested in seeing how other people would do this. I can set up as many as 8 scenes, so this is a pretty cool thing. Each scene means that the buttons send different midi note ons (and note offs) (or optionally other midi signals)

I will be testing this out, working out the bugs, etc over the coming weeks. Also I plan on writing a review and doing a video of using it.

It took me about 30 minutes to get things working (always seem to forget midi patchbay)

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this out there. Let me know if you have questions, advice, etc. I really like that the pedal is much much much smaller than the behringer or the roland. It also has an expression pedal input, which I will be trying with my Alesis F2 pedal (which cost as much as the logidy itself!)

-rich
ghostly

Re: UMI3 plus SooperLooper

Post by ghostly »

I like the look of the UMI3, if I'd known about that I may not have have splashed out on the FCB1010! Having said that, I do tend to use up to 10 pedals a song and I would confuse myself flicking through scenes like that.

Love the fact it is USB and bus powered.
rseymour

Post by rseymour »

Flipping through scenes is definitely driving me a bit nuts, but it's not too bad at the moment.

I have it set up now for:
scene 1:
select loop
record/overdub
scene 2:
undo (this works pretty good, but why can't it undo to completely off...)
redo
scene 3:
reverse
multiply

You just have to keep an eye on the sooperlooper window and the UMI3 setup window... It would be neat to combine the two, but... either way... I like it so far.

Haven't hooked up my expression pedal for lack of a proper stereo 1/4"

-rich
jesse

Post by jesse »

Regarding the "undo to completely off", it used to do that, but I got several requests for it not to, because it was difficult to know when you might undo one-too-many times into silence and blow the music. Note that directly after recording the first loop after reset, it will undo to silence. A long-press of undo (if you are using note messages) will do the undo-all which takes it back to reset.

I should probably make it an option in the preferences how to treat undo.
rseymour

Post by rseymour »

Long press undo is perfectly fine for me I believe. Right now my problem (or wish) would be to get the tempo which SooperLooper catches off of my first loop to send out a midi timeclock to as VSTi synth (to use an arpeggiator)..

I'm going to search the forum a bit. I've tried pushing the data through MIDI Patchbay, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps the VSTi host isn't getting the info...

I've used my ancient cheap Rolard TR 505 to send tempo info to SooperLooper and that worked just fine... I'll see what I can dig up in the forums regarding sending time info out of sooperlooper.

Thanks for your response and again for the program.
-rich
rseymour

Post by rseymour »

AAaaaw snap... just switched from Ugly VSTi to VST Lord and also added that preference switch to "Send MIDI start event on trigger" ...

Of course by changing two variables I don't know which fixed it or both, but... I now have arpeggiation (via TAL Bassline free VST) ... the fun is just beginning.

-rich