Clicks with some loops, no matter the xfade amount

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

Knorm

Clicks with some loops, no matter the xfade amount

Post by Knorm »

Hello and thanks for reading this.

I'm still sometimes getting clicks between loops "caused by waveform discontinuities" (as the Command Reference puts it,) and this no matter how high I set the xfade amount. I found a few posts about this here but no resolution (except some posts with scripts but I have no idea how to implement that or if it's even related.)

Any ideas or hints?

Thanks.
jesse

Re: Clicks with some loops, no matter the xfade amount

Post by jesse »

Can you describe how you are creating the loops (steps of recording and other commands)?
Knorm

Post by Knorm »

Hey Jesse, thanks for your reply. And for your amazing software, of course.

Not sure how much detail to give so this might be too much.

I've been using SooperLooper for about 10 years via within Mainstage, not sure why this started happening. Though it doesn't always. Had a hard time making it happen last night while testing things out.

I trigger SooperLooper with an FCB1010 via MidiPatchbay. I have five pedals set as: previous loop, next loop, record/overdub selected, undo selected (as a note so I can hold it down) and redo selected. Top row is virtual guitar pedals. Sometimes with SL setting the tempo, sometimes Mainstage setting the tempo, but the clicks happen with either situation. Last night I started with playing a simple beat on Ultrabeat with a midi keyboard (an Edirol PCR-500) as the first loop, which set the tempo. Then on a second loop, I played a synth pad chord that overlaps the loop start, and even though I had xfade set at 64, there was click where the loop restarts.

Not sure what else you need to know, please ask away! And thanks again!
jesse

Post by jesse »

So, in this example you have two loop instances, each one recorded a single loop using record to start/finish each? And on the synth you had the chord held before you hit record, right? It would be interesting to try it with holding the chord through the finishing record (but no sound at the start), just to see if you get a click on the boundary in that case. If you get clicks one way, and not the other that could help me track it down.
Knorm

Post by Knorm »

jesse wrote:So, in this example you have two loop instances, each one recorded a single loop using record to start/finish each?
And on the synth you had the chord held before you hit record, right?
Yes and yes.
jesse wrote:It would be interesting to try it with holding the chord through the finishing record (but no sound at the start), just to see if you get a click on the boundary in that case. If you get clicks one way, and not the other that could help me track it down.
Tried this and still get clicks. Here's maybe another clue: I have two concerts, one where SooperLooper is the master (synched to Loop 1) and one where SL follows Mainstage (synched to Jack/Host). In the first scenario, there's no click on Loop 1, but there is on any subsequent loops. But in the 2nd scenario, when loop 1 is following the Mainstage clock, loop1 does have a click.
xfade is set at 128.