various problems...

Problems getting SL up and running on Linux? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

slyzic

various problems...

Post by slyzic »

Hi,
I've been using successfully(live performance available on youtube/slyzic ;-) ) the sooperlooper version provided in the jaunty packages, and I can't stop playing with this great SW!
But this version seems to be really old, and I was missing some features from the recent releases (pitch/rate, overdub quant, etc...)

So I compiled the 1.16.13 and I noticed multiple problems:

- rate, pitch, are not working. Unless I trig again and move the rate cursors again, then the rate works temporarily. But no way to keep the pitch (I want just to slow down the loop without altering pitch, which is a GREAT feature to fix tempo issues during live performance!)

- Multiply does not work properly. I activated "round" and "quant" options, but it does not quantize or round anything (no more blinking multiply button) and sometimes it even records nothing.

Did you ever heard of such behaviours?
Any library specific version that could cause this?
Due to all these problems, I had to go back to the "jaunty package release".
By the way, is there a way to get the sources of this version (the 1.0.8c) ? I would need the sources to merge my changes I made on the 1.16.13 (it adds some external LCD display in the gui)

I hope you can give me some idea to fix all this!
Sylvain
jesse

Re: various problems...

Post by jesse »

It sounds like you compiled without getting all the 3rd party dependency libraries installed first. You need libsamplerate ( http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/ ), and Rubberband ( http://www.breakfastquay.com/rubberband/ ) to get all the rate and stretch and pitch features functional.

For quantizing multiply (or anything) you need to turn quantize to cycle,loop, or 8ths, and also turn on the 'sync' flag for the loop. If you can describe in more detail exactly what you did before it flakes out, please do.

The 1.0.8 version is so ridiculously ancient, I can't believe distros still include it. But if you must (please don't, I really can't support it, I'd rather you help me fix the current version) the source is at http://essej.net/sooperlooper/sooperloo ... .8c.tar.gz .
slyzic

Post by slyzic »

Hi Jesse,
Thx for the quick answer!
I'll use the ancient source you provided for short term (else, on live setup, I'm just blind without my small LCD display...).
But I definitely want to try to make the recent version work fine.
I will try to recompile with the latest samplerate and rubberband stuff. If you say that sooperlooper version is too ancient, it might be the same for the 3rd party libs...
I'll get back to you ASAP, after I tried this.
slyzic

Post by slyzic »

Hi Jesse,
brief update:

rebuilt samplerate, liblo, rubberband (latest releases)
merged my changes in looper_control.cpp (starting from fresh tar.gz extraction for both releases below)

1.6.13 :
Multiply still not working in quant mode
Same problem with stretch and pitch. Sometimes moving the cursor has effect, sometimes not...

1.6.14 :
=> multiply quant works fine, happy to see the multiply button flashing again!
=> stretch and pitch cursors are working fine (had to increase the jack buffer size,else, lot of xruns)

Now, I'll try to use it on my embedded linux gear, but I'm sure it will work just fine.

I really don't understand what can change between 13 and 14, but it definitely behaves better on 14...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sylvain