Got SL to build on Ubuntu Studio 19

Talk about building the software from source code, and any issues related.

Moderator: jesse

Digital Larry

Got SL to build on Ubuntu Studio 19

Post by Digital Larry »

Took a bit of perseverance, I needed to tweak a config file and a makefile and rebuild various bits a number of times. Took 2 or 3 hours all told.

a) In rubberband-1.8.2 Makefile, I commented out these lines (which are not next to each other in the file):
# rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(INSTALL_LIBDIR)/$(JNINAME)$(DYNAMIC_EXTENSION)
# cp -f $(JNI_TARGET) $(DESTDIR)$(INSTALL_LIBDIR)/$(JNINAME)$(DYNAMIC_EXTENSION)

b) I had to make fftw-3.3.8 as follows:
make CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fPIC -Wall"

There might have been something else. Anyone who gets this far trying, go ahead and ask me. I simply followed the error messages to their logical conclusions.

I'm interested to make a streamlined UI. One thing I am wondering is that if EVERYTHING is controlled by OSC, then e.g. I have use TouchOSC on my Android tablet and have a readout there so I can face my guitar amp rather than the computer.

That would really be cool. If so, I may have no need to do anything with the code but I got some satisfaction out of getting it to build anyway.

I have tried a few other software loopers (Mobius, luppp, Quantiloop) and SL is winning the race so far for what I want to do. If I can optimize the UI to the bare minimum I will really be on to something. I don't use all the 1/2, 2x, reverse, insert, overdub most of the time. I am trying to build up multiple separate layers as the first step in a guitar centric composition process that might eventually wind up in a DAW.