Problem hearing all devices when second loop created

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

joedrums

Problem hearing all devices when second loop created

Post by joedrums »

Jesse,

I've got two sound sources a keyboard (source 1) and a drum brain (source 2). I can hear and see both levels etc.. both on my monitor and on the looper in the threshold as a jumping level meter gauge. When I open a second stereo loop (loop 2). One of the two sound sources immediately doesn't register on the new Loop.

For example: Source 1 still registers in the threshold as a jumping level meter on the first loop along w/source 2 but not in the second loop. Only source 2 registers in loop 2. This could happen in reverse also.

Note: I've opened 3 or 4 or 5 new loops and still all of them only are allowing one of the sound source devices. (I've gone to super looper preferences, put in 8 loops instead of 1, clicked on and off discrete i/o. Still only one sound source registers on EVERYONE BUT THE FIRST LOOP.

Can Sooper Looper have only one sound source at a time coming into it? I'm guessing not.

( I'm wondering if it is in the system capture section in Jack. When I go back into the Routing at this point I see that all that is in the system under system> sooper looper is capture 5 and 6. I'm guessing this is inputs 5 and 6. I have tried to capture all at once upon loading and that also didn't help.)

thanks
j
Attachments
Outputs
Outputs
Outputs.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 43640 times
Inputs
Inputs
Inputs.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 43642 times
aspersemusic

Re: Problem hearing all devices when second loop created

Post by aspersemusic »

I can't help you with jack, but what are you running in? (Mainstage abbleton? etc)

Perhaps you can use the au-plug and avoid using jack altogether.

Good Luck.
jesse

Post by jesse »

If you could also include a screen shot of SL with the multiple loops that could be helpful. In addition, provide a screenshot with the items in the JackPilot router expanded (click the arrows) so I can see the individual ports of SL and the system. To see what a specific port is connected to, just click on it (when the items are expanded).

You haven't mentioned what setup you would prefer. Do you want both sound sources going into every loop as potential input?
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

Jesse,

I would like to hear all sources I have going through my 8 channel A/D converter (MOTU 896HD). Right now I only have the two.

Here are the screen shots you asked for.

Also on a different subject any way to control mix levels of the overdubs coming in? So each loop can have it's own mix, overdubs and all. Rather than creating 8 different loops? I don't think so but hoping.

j
Attachments
Looper and Jack Preferences
Looper and Jack Preferences
Looper and Jack preferences.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 43588 times
Outputs
Outputs
Outputs_2.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 43593 times
Inputs
Inputs
Inputs_2.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 43597 times
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

Jesse,

The new version of Sooper Looper did not fix the problem of dropped audio devices when new loop is open in tandem to original loop. Refer to my last email of all the screenshots you asked for.

j
jesse

Post by jesse »

OK, let's step back and really analyze exactly what you want to accomplish. Because you have so many channels on your audio interface you'll have to make explicit port to port connections within JackPilot, and not just do it at the top level. I will try to describe what I *think* you want and how you would go about setting it up. You can correct me.

You have two sound sources, and they are both stereo. For instance:
Keyboard - going into your MOTU audio interface inputs 1 and 2
Drum brain - going in to the MOTU inputs 3 and 4

You want loop 1 in SL to be for keyboard, and you want loop 2 to be for drums. In SL, create 2 stereo loops, making sure the enable the option to have separate ins/outs in either the preferences or in the Add Custom Loop dialog. Then, in JackPilot open the Routing window, and expand (with the arrows) all the system and sooperlooper items. Now, you'll want to connect system:capture_1 to sooperlooper:loop0_in1 by clicking the item on the left column, and double-clicking the item on the right column. Repeat with system:capture_2 to sooperlooper:loop0_in2. Now you have your keyboard's audio routed directly to the first loop in SL. Do the same for the drum brain channels (capture_3/4 and loop1_in1/2) to attach it to the second loop.

Now to get the main output routed to the first two channels of your audio interface, click on sooperlooper:common_out_1 on the left, and double click on system:playback_1 on the right. Do the same for sooperlooper:common_out_2 and system:playback_2.

At this point you should be able to loop audio for keyboard on the first loop and drums on the second loop.

You can now save the JackPilot routing settings from the File menu of JackPilot, Save Studio Settings, for easy loading next time.

There are obviously many other ways you could set things up. For instance, if you wanted to just connect all your MOTU inputs to sooperlooper's main inputs so that audio from any/all of them can be looped in any of the SL loops, do the following (assuming nothing is connected in JackPilot yet):
For stereo input pairs, connect the system:capture_#s one a time as described above to the sooperlooper:common_in_1/2 for left and right. You can connect as many things to the common_in_1/2 as you want. So if you had 4 stereo instruments plugged in you would connect each input channel to the appropriate sooperlooper:common_in_# (1 for left, 2 for right). Connect the common_out_# as described above.

If you want each loop's output to go to different outputs on your MOTU, then just connect the loop#_out_# ports directly to the system:playback_# port. The key is really thinking about what you want and them manually connecting each channel at a time with JackPilot. Then save the setup so recreating it is just a load away.
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

Jesse,

Thank you for your in depth explanation. What I wanted was your second example. I want everything hooked up and to be able to play and record all at anytime on any loop I create. I'm away from my rig right now, but I think your second explanation covers this.

A couple things for clarity before I try this.

When conncecting jack to looper I click "system" then "sooperlooper". That establishes connection on inputs 1/2? How do I then do the same for 3/4? Repeat the sequence AND initially I can hear and record both, it's only when I open the second loop. I can't tell if what your saying addresses this. I will try to duplicate what you said when I get in front of my rig.

thx
j
jesse

Post by jesse »

joedrums wrote: When conncecting jack to looper I click "system" then "sooperlooper". That establishes connection on inputs 1/2? How do I then do the same for 3/4? Repeat the sequence AND initially I can hear and record both, it's only when I open the second loop. I can't tell if what your saying addresses this. I will try to duplicate what you said when I get in front of my rig.
You absolutely have to expand the items using the arrow (triangle) to show all the individual ports beneath system and sooperlooper. Then you click and double click on the individual ports you want to connect, one at a time.
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

I understand, still at my gig on intermission so haven't tried it at home. But I've done it enough and am looking at my screenshots and don't completely understand, I'll try it and write you the verdict.

What you're saying makes sense more or less I just haven't achieved it in person yet.

j
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

Jesse,

I got it working. I figured it was something like this.

thanks
j

p.s. I don't understand syncing in this. I turn it on but if I'm slightly off in creating my second loop it registers. How do I get the sync to work?
jesse

Post by jesse »

OK, let's assume you want to sync the other loops to the first loop.

1. Set 'sync to' to Loop 1 at the top
2. Set quantize to 'cycle' at the top
3. On each of the other loops, enable their 'sync' flag

Then, once you've recorded on loop 1, the other loops will be quantized on cycle boundaries for their record operations (and other ops).

Optionally, enable the 'rel sync' option if you want to be able to hit record at anytime for the other loops, but still have their total loop record times synced properly.
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

thanks man
j