Background Rhythm loop/Grouping Loops

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

catfishthebottleman

Background Rhythm loop/Grouping Loops

Post by catfishthebottleman »

I have just discovered Sooper Looper and it is awesome! Thanks to Jesse for creating it!

I want to use Sooper Looper for song based work. I want to be able to have separate loops for different song sections with different chords etc.

I note that this has been covered in other threads by soloing loops. However I would like to start off with a rhythm loop that keeps going in the background while I switch between the other soloed loops.

I initially mucked around with Loopback in MainStage. Synching was a nightmare, but Loopback allows loops to be grouped A,B,C etc or no grouping. Loops that aren't grouped will keep playing. Loops that are grouped will stop playing when the next group starts.

Is there a way to have a rhythm loop continue while other loops are soloed? Even better is there a way to group loops as per the Loopback example above?

My initial thought is that I might be able to achieve this by mapping mute commands to multiple tracks.

For example I might have four loops...

Loop 1 is my rhythm loop.

Loop 2 C chord

Loop 3 F Chord

Loop 4 G chord

I'm thinking I could map mute 3 and 4 if I want 1 and 2 to play. Mute 2 and 4 for 1 and 3 etc...
Freasy

Re: Background Rhythm loop/Grouping Loops

Post by Freasy »

I guess your "mute groups" solution would be the way to go.
You could put your rhythm loop on solo the hole time so when you want another loop to come in, you have to solo it too. I guess it doesn't make any difference. You could run another instance of SL of course, say an instance for rhythm and one for chords. You would have to sync them though which should be possible via jack. Haven't tried that yet though.
catfishthebottleman

Post by catfishthebottleman »

Thanks for your reply:)

I didn’t know you could have two loops soloed at once or run two instances of SL.

I’ll give it a try!
Freasy

Post by Freasy »

catfishthebottleman wrote:Thanks for your reply:)

I didn’t know you could have two loops soloed at once or run two instances of SL.

I’ll give it a try!
About the two soloing at one time I'm very sure you can do that, but if and how the two instances work I don't know.