Advice Needed: Single-Button Looping? (à la Loopor)

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

Enkerli

Advice Needed: Single-Button Looping? (à la Loopor)

Post by Enkerli »

Looping newbie, here, so maybe this is too obvious.

Anyone has clear advice on a single-button setup in SL? More specifically, would like to use the same MIDI CC to set loops of arbitrary lengths (record while pressed), overdub, and reset with double-tap. Or some other simple setup which would allow me to fully control loops with only one control.

Recently got a MIDI Expression iO adapter (which allows pedals and footswitches to work in MIDI). Also bought two Marshall two-button footswitches (PEDL90010). One of them doesn’t really work and the other one sends the same signal through both buttons (so the MEiO produces the same MIDI control with either button). Which means that a single button is available to me, at this point. Still a whole lot of fun. Tried different loopers on different platforms (macOS, iOS, Raspberry Pi). So far, my favourite setup is with Loopor on MODEP (MOD Emulation for Pisound, a special setup based on the Raspberry Pi). Developed for the MOD Duo pedalboard, Loopor is a very simple looper which works as described with a single button. Used that setup during a drone day jam the day after getting the MEiO and it was really fun.
(SL does work in MODEP but Loopor felt easier to use.)

Would like to find something similar on other platforms, especially macOS (LPX/MS). Getting close to this, but just not quite, especially in terms of resetting a loop.

Should soon get other pedals to use in MEiO, but a single-button setup is so convenient that it’d be better for me to use those for other things.

Thank!

– Alex
jesse

Re: Advice Needed: Single-Button Looping? (à la Loopor)

Post by jesse »

Yes, you can get a single button setup going with SooperLooper, if you make MIDI bindings to the : record_or_overdub command (or one of the many variations if your needs are more complex). Double-tap will not work to reset though, it would need to be a long-press (if your pedals can be set up as momentary, so it sends a non-zero CC value when depressed, and 0 value on release).

Are you the same Enkerli from the Audiobus forums? You may recognize me as the developer of ThumbJam and DrumJam on iOS :) SooperLooper is an old and just barely maintained project of mine from way back. That said, the damn thing still seems to work.
Enkerli

Re: Advice Needed: Single-Button Looping? (à la Loopor)

Post by Enkerli »

jesse wrote:Yes, you can get a single button setup going with SooperLooper, if you make MIDI bindings to the : record_or_overdub command (or one of the many variations if your needs are more complex). Double-tap will not work to reset though, it would need to be a long-press (if your pedals can be set up as momentary, so it sends a non-zero CC value when depressed, and 0 value on release).
That could work. Wanted the long-press to be for the duration of the recording (easier to time it this way), but it’s probably easy enough to do it as a toggle. How do we setup the same CC to be long-press and not?
jesse wrote:Are you the same Enkerli from the Audiobus forums? You may recognize me as the developer of ThumbJam and DrumJam on iOS :) SooperLooper is an old and just barely maintained project of mine from way back. That said, the damn thing still seems to work.
Yep, same iOS musicker who keeps writing long posts praising ThumbJam. ;)
Did notice you were the same Jesse (especially since the root of the domain is about Sonosaurus).

For an old project, SL is pretty durable. Quite commendable! In fact, the MOD Devices version (which also runs on RasPi) is based on even older code. Impressive!
The fact that SL comes up consistently in looping discussions is also a very good sign.
Will need to really understand it thoroughly, at some point.

Thanks for all your help, esseJ!