Syncing loops with different starting points

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

tlo

Syncing loops with different starting points

Post by tlo »

I am in the process of migrating my live looping setup from my Boss RC-30 to SooperLooper.

I have percussion on my main loop (loop 1) that I record first. I then want to record loop 2, which must be synced with loop 1, but I don't want to start it at the exact same starting point. Is there a way to start the recording of loop 2 at the place where loop 1 is currently playing? Let's say I have an eight beat percussion track on loop 1, and I want to start adding background vocals on beat 7 or so, and then keep recording it for an entire loop around (i.e., until the second beat 7)?

The setup I'm currently using is:
quantize: loop
loop 2: sync and play sync

This mostly works, but I lose the lead-in for beats 7 and 8, because the recording doesn't start until beat 1. I just want the two loops to be completely synced, but I don't want to be constrained to have to start them at the same position. In essence, I'd want the first loop 2 recording to just be an overdub of loop 1, but I need to be able to mute and unmute them independently.

Any thoughts?
Pekka

Re: Syncing loops with different starting points

Post by Pekka »

Click "rel sync" on and it should work the way you want. But remember to push rec button again before beat 7 or you have an extra cycle.
tlo

Post by tlo »

Well, that was easy. Thanks, that's much better.

Is there a setting for changing the behavior so that I don't have to stop that loop at all? I.e., loop 2 behaves as an overdub of loop 1? I can re-learn if I need to, so no big deal.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

press record twice and it should work? I think there's no other way.