Multiple Midi-Bindings with one push— AppleScript?

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

marimbaloop

Multiple Midi-Bindings with one push— AppleScript?

Post by marimbaloop »

I'm way new to looping and have only been digging into SooperLooper for a couple weeks now. (Thank you Jesse for an amazing program and a very helpful forum!) I'm not sure if I'm just still too low on the looping learning curve, but I'm looking to do more than just record a loop that has no end/variation/b theme, etc...

Here's my current setup:

iMac 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo
SooperLooper (hosted as an AU inside Digital Performer)
FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

I'm trying to create looped music with acoustic percussion instruments (marimba being the primary voice). I was finally able to record 2 successful loops today (on 2 separate SL instances) and play on top of them (YAY!). I'm now looking to customize my setup to be able to perform actual pieces of music, switching from one loop to another, muting a loop while I record a new one, etc etc... it seems that the way more professional folk have gone about this (Zoe Keating...) is with the use of AppleScript to create multiple midi commands all at once, but I haven't been able to find any help in this area.

Does anyone have any experience using AppleScript to trigger multiple midi-bindings with one pedal push? Maybe an example of how this is done? I want to be able to focus on what i'm playing and not have to press 4 pedals to clumsily get myself into another section of a piece. Is there a better/easier way to maneuver through loops? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks— seth
ghostly

Re: Multiple Midi-Bindings with one push— AppleScript?

Post by ghostly »

Bit of an old post but thought I'd answer it anyway!

I am preparing myself for a live gig where I will be using SL with a FCB1010 and Logic. What I have done is simply set up the midi bindings so that more than one function is triggered with a single midi message. i.e. using note on commands I have set up mute loop 1 and record loop 2 both as midi note on message 36. I hit the pedal (mapped to note on 36) and loop 1 mutes and loop 2 starts recording. With quantize on to loop 1 I don't need to be accurate with my stomping and can concentrate on my performance.

Hope that helped! (belatedly...)

g