Canon effect with Sooper Looper?

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

jsmanness

Canon effect with Sooper Looper?

Post by jsmanness »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if SL was capable of triggering a timed delay for a canonic piece. [For those unfamiliar with 'canon,' think of the song "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," which is a simple type of canon that's also known as a 'round'.] This is what I would like to do:

1. Soloist begins playing and SL starts recording.
2. Soloist cues SL to play.
3. Soloist and SL continue to play at a fixed time apart.

I wouldn't be using SL for looping, but rather have it serve as the second voice in a one-person, two-part canon. Is this possible?

Thank you for help!

-Jon
jesse

Re: Canon effect with Sooper Looper?

Post by jesse »

If I understand you correctly, the easiest way to do that in SL is to turn the feedback control (feedb) down to 0%, then start with Record (step 1) and start playing, then for step 2, hit Overdub, which finishes the record and goes immediately into overdub setting the loop/delay time. Then you just leave it in overdub for the rest of the time. When feedback is turned off overdub just replaces the contents of the loop so you only hear the last time, just like a normal timed delay.
jsmanness

Re: Canon effect with Sooper Looper?

Post by jsmanness »

Wow...that works perfectly! Thank you, Jesse! I promise to share any progress I have with the piece using SL, as well as sharing SL on my website. Thank you again!

Best,

Jon