/register_update vs. /register_auto_update

Discuss using the OSC interface to control SL

Moderator: jesse

sremington

/register_update vs. /register_auto_update

Post by sremington »

I'm trying to figure out the reasons why you would use one over the other. According to the docs they both only send changes when something has changed but the /register_auto_update will only send events at 100ms intervals. I would assume that you would want to use this for controls that would send out a large amount of updates (i.e. loop position) and you don't want to be "drinking from the fire hose" so to speak.

I ran into something curious though when I used /register_auto_update for a loop's "wet" control. I would continuously change the wet level on the loop from the built in GUI (slgui) and I would get sporadic "wet" updates and sometimes none at all. Changing to /register_update fixed that and I see that that is what the built in client uses for updates of the "wet" control (and in fact most all of the controls). There are a couple that use /register_auto_update though so I'm curious when you would want to use one over the other?

-Seth
jesse

Re: /register_update vs. /register_auto_update

Post by jesse »

The only things the GUI uses */register_auto_update for are the output-only controls such as meters, positions, and other information that changes without direct interaction. Any of the controls that can be changed use register_update. I clearly haven't tested using the auto_update for any of those! Also note that the 100ms is fixed, it ignores any value you feed for the update rate.