OSC for non-programmers?

Discuss using the OSC interface to control SL

Moderator: jesse

hardbop200

OSC for non-programmers?

Post by hardbop200 »

Hi all!

I'm wanting to use Sooperlooper on Linux as a drum machine for practicing, loading a preset bunch of drum loops and fills and switching between them using my Android phone + some OSC control app (TouchOSC, etc.). While I am familiar with Linux and don't mind getting my hands dirty, I am not a programmer. Can someone point me to a tutorial for OSC newbies on getting this going? If someone has some predefined scenes for one of the OSC apps, that would be awesome as well :)

Note: I've been reading the doc on OSC commands, I just need a little help knowing how to use them.

Thanks!

Josh
JeffHendricks

Re: OSC for non-programmers?

Post by JeffHendricks »

I've been chewing on the idea of doing the same thing, but I have had ZERO success in figuring this out. Apparently, TouchOSC supports custom configs on Android now, so I'm trying to give it a shot. However, the little amount of information on how to actually *use* the OSC commands and such is ridiculously hard to understand.

Also, I've had no success getting TouchOSC to even connect to SL, much less send it commands. I am banging my head against the wall on this... why doesn't it just work?

:x

I could manage if there were an OSC to MIDI bridge program for Linux, but no...
JeffHendricks

Post by JeffHendricks »

Update: I did manage to get TouchOSC talking with my laptop, I could see messages being sent and recieved with oscdump, but no luck with SooperLooper. I know it adds an integer to the message, even if you specify a string. I wonder if that's changeable with the TouchOSC layout editor? Maybe we could modify the layout's file directly to prevent that??

Undaunted, I press on.. :?

UPDATE: TouchOSC uses a non-standard layout file format... at least, you can't open it in a text editor.

I am now looking into mididings, which claims to be able to route OSC messages to MIDI. It will require me learning python. It should not be this hard to get things to work.

Blech.

UPDATE:

Seems like mididings only utilizes osc messages to switch between "scenes" inside the program... doesn't actually translate them. Theoretically, one could create individual "scenes" to generate MIDI messages, and switching would trigger said event... but there would be no osc feedback that I can see.

I will attempt to achieve the impossible. Wish me luck.
JeffHendricks

Post by JeffHendricks »

Update: I did manage to get TouchOSC and my laptop talking. Had to connect them to a different access point on their own, but that part is working. I can see messages being received.

Now, to figure out how to mangle TouchOSC messages in a way that SooperLooper understands.

For all you non-programmers out there, I will definitely put up a tutorial if/when I get it working. I don't care if it uses MIDI or OSC commands, but I'm pretty sure I can get it working.