Unquantized Replace

Discuss future feature requests. All ideas welcome.

Moderator: jesse

misteralan

Unquantized Replace

Post by misteralan »

Hi All and Jesse,
I have been working with Sl for some months now trying to get it reliably configured for Live/Studio-Live Applications. I am wondering if there could be a way to set the Replace function to not be affected by the Sync/Quantize boundaries(like the default behaviour for Overdub). A music for film composer that I work with every week asked me if SL has a "spot-erase/replace" capability as I have been trying to work the Loop recording idea into this situation. If this would be relatively simple to implement it sure would help SL show it's usefulness in this somewhat traditional 'linear style' recording environment.
In any case Jesse and everybody that is contributing keep up the excellent work,
AL
p.s. I figured out a workaround that seems to be working....I have 2 MIDI bindings set to the same MIDI command, Replace and Sync source where the sync source momentarily changes to 'none' which then allows the Replace points not to be tied to the sync/quantize boundaries..
jesse

Re: Unquantized Replace

Post by jesse »

As evidenced by the simplicity of your workaround, it would not be too hard to add as a feature. My question to you is what *are* you quantizing? If it is because you must have quantize on for sync to work, then probably the better fix (for SL) is to properly separate quantize and sync so that one does not depend on the other. I still need to think about that problem some more.... some of the internal implementation complicates any changes in this area.

jlc
misteralan

Re: Unquantized Replace

Post by misteralan »

Hi Jesse,
My question to you is what *are* you quantizing? If it is because you must have quantize on for sync to work
I am testing my setup where SL is synced to Jack/host (Logic 8 or Live 7) where all loops have sync and play sync checked as well. So I am quantizing for the record function....then I can easily set the length of the loop to be any multiple of the quantize value... ie. 1 bar,2bars,etc.Image
So it seems that
then probably the better fix (for SL) is to properly separate quantize and sync so that one does not depend on the other
would be the best solution.
I would just use the replace function to spot erase any clams (unwanted audio)!
I hope that this is clearer now,
thanks,
AL
p.s. as I see it, when SL is set to sync to MIDI or Jack/host (shall we refer to these choices as External Sync) the quantize cannot be set to Off in order for any switched functions in SL to be initiated