Remote gui not working on a remote machine

Report anything that appears to be a bug here.

Moderator: jesse

BrainDamage

Remote gui not working on a remote machine

Post by BrainDamage »

I have sooperlooper running on a machine called alarmpedal, the hostname is alarmpedal, the machine is headless.
Within the same machine I can use slconsole to connect to sooperlooper, the machine is not firewalled and network functions fine for the rest of the programs.

On a separate machine, with hostname cloud-laptop, I attempt to connect to sooperlooper on alarmpedal:
slgui --connect-host=192.168.1.4 --never-spawn
slgui: our URL is osc.udp://cloud-laptop:12595/
but the gui on my side is blank

checking on the remote system, sooperlooper logs:
sooperlooper
Copyright 2007 Jesse Chappell
128 buffersize
OSC server URI (network) is: osc.udp://alarmpedal:9951/
OSC error -2: Name or service not known
The OSC error happens every time I attempt to connect with the gui, so it indicates that there's at least a recognized effort, but it fails.
One thing that's weird to me is that the reported OSC URI are using the hostnames, but those hostnames aren't available in the network; if I were to ping them there'd be no dns resolution:
ping alarmpedal
ping: alarmpedal: Name or service not known
Running sooperlooper on cloud-laptop and connecting with slgui using loopback networking does work properly.
Is sooperlooper assuming the hostnames are available network-wide and using them internally in the protocol - failing so, or is there some other bug at play here?
jesse

Re: Remote gui not working on a remote machine

Post by jesse »

What OS are these machines running?

It does look like the sooperlooper on alarmpedal is trying to respond to the slgui request from cloud-laptop by using its hostname reported in the request instead of an IP address, which is where that OSC error is coming from. I'll need to go in and see what is going on here.

To workaround this, you can put these hostnames in your /etc/hosts file(s) with the IP addresses that they have. I'm guessing they are either static or DHCP allocated by your router and don't often change. For instance, you'll want to add lines like this to the /etc/hosts files on both computers:

192.168.1.4 cloud-laptop
192.168.1.X alarmpedal

Where you obviously put the correct IP in for alarmpedal instead of the .X.
BrainDamage

Re: Remote gui not working on a remote machine

Post by BrainDamage »

Both machines are running linux, one is an arm board, the other is an x86 laptop.

Indeed the protocol is using hostnames instead of the ips for the reply, if I add them as static entry in /etc/hosts the communication works.

Since a machine knows its own hostname normally, it explains why loopback connections work.