Audio Dropouts

Report anything that appears to be a bug here.

Moderator: jesse

gtodd876

Audio Dropouts

Post by gtodd876 »

I installed the newest version of SL 1.6.11 and I started having regular audio dropouts/click. I troubleshooted for a long time and realized I could everything to work fine starting from scratch until I added an eq and/or reverb plug-in to the audio track in Ableton Live and that also contains the SL plug. The weird thing is if I bypass the effects and even delete them then the dropouts still happen. Your screwed until you start a new live set and build up a set again without any other plugs except for SL on the audio track.

I tried to downgrade back to 1.6.10 but didn't much luck with that either. I deleted the SL plug-in file in the components folder, emptied the trash, copied 1.6.10 back into the folder, logged out/logged in. Now when I start up live and add SL to a track and start the GUI it still says 1.6.11 at the top without the default loop added. You can not add any loops either. Sorry if I did something stupid with the de-install/ install of the older version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just would like to get back to where I was yesterday.

After all these hours I'm tempted to wipe the whole drive like back in my pc days:)

Todd
jesse

Re: Audio Dropouts

Post by jesse »

Remember that the GUI is actually a separate application so you need to copy the SooperLooper application into /Applications (or wherever you put it) in order for it to also display the version you expect.

Strange behavior, regarding the dropouts. If you really do discover a difference between the SL versions, please let me know. I would be kind of surprised.
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

Thank you Jesse,

I'm going to work on it again now. There's so many variables that could be involved who knows what could be the problem. I'll let you know what I find out.

Todd
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

So I did a clean install. I had been meaning to do it for awhile anyway. Too much junk to sort through and all my data is on the external drive so it was easy just to wipe it.

I did still have CPU spike on the Ableton cpu meter with 1.6.11 It will sit around 6 or 7% and then every 20 sec or so it will jump up to around 107% and make a noise. I reverted to 1.6.10 and I haven't had any problems yet.

Let me know if you need me to try anything else or do any tests.

Thanks again,
Todd
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

Hi Jesse,

As an update to my cpu spike problem... I realize if I use built in Inputs and outputs and I have no spikes. I plugged my portable recorder straight into the mac from its headphone jack and put it into record mode so I could use it as an audio interface. Before I was borrowing a friends Duet to try out and thats when I had the problems. I will try to get my hands on the Duet again to see if I can recreate the spike. I guess there could be some issue with the Duet drivers and the 128 buffer size I was using.
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

I did more testing today with a Duet, an ultralite, and using the built-in inputs and output. I did get the cpu spikes at regular intervals using the duet drivers, the ultralite driver, and using the built in inputs and outputs with version 1.6.11 When the spikes happen its causes glitches in the audio. When I backed up to version 1.6.10 I had no problems. So disregard my previous post about it maybe having something to do with the duet drivers.

I used the same Live set for all tests which included sooperlooper with three mono loops and an Live's eq and reverb used as inserts on the audio.

Todd

Mac Mini 1.66ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs ram
jesse

Post by jesse »

What was SL doing at the time, playing back on all three loops, for instance? Did the regular intervals correspond to something that SL was doing (eg related to loop length, etc)?

The fact that you don't see it with 1.6.10 gives me hope.
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

At first I was playing back on all three loops but then I tried audio on just one loop..... then I disabled the plug-ins on the inserts.....then I stopped the audio playing in sooperlooper. So nothing was happening (no sound) and if I watched the CPU meter about every 20-30 sec it would spike. I was stumped after that to try to find the cause of it. I will try some more tomorrow.