SL Midi Binding Problem with controller in AULAB

Using SL with Apple's AULab

Moderator: jesse

chief

SL Midi Binding Problem with controller in AULAB

Post by chief »

So I'm not sure if this is an SL problem or an AU Lab problem but I"ll try asking it here.

So I have have 2 midi controller's I'm using in AU LAB, a Line 6 FBV mkii shortboard to control parameters in POD Farm, and a FBV Express I'm using to try to control a few parameters in Sooper Looper.

I had this working before - but it's not working in the current set up.
First - here's the midi effect window - I placed it on Port 2 - since the FBV controller for PODfarm is assigned to PORT 1
Midi Effect Editor.tiff
Midi Effect Editor.tiff (42.57 KiB) Viewed 66624 times
Here are the parameters of the controller I'm using - as set up in FBV controller - which shows the current values being sent by the FBV controller:
FBV Window2.jpg
FBV Window2.jpg (156.35 KiB) Viewed 66607 times
And finally here is a screen shot of the Preferences window for assignment -
SL Pref.tiff
SL Pref.tiff (103.78 KiB) Viewed 66620 times
So when I went to go add the Midi Bindings:

(Command/Control - Add new - Learn - Modify)- the learn feature wasn't working (i.e. nothing was being modified in the field) - So I tried to add the values manually in the MIDI EVENT - window but When I tried to record a track with the Record function nothing happened. When I used a key binding it worked fine - but nothing via MIDI.

Any suggestions?

THANKS! This is really tripping me up!

-Scott
chief

Re: SL Midi Binding Problem with controller in AULAB

Post by chief »

A few more screen shots as well.

The session
AU LAB SESSION.tiff
AU LAB SESSION.tiff (182.65 KiB) Viewed 66625 times
The studio window
AU LAB STUDIO.tiff
AU LAB STUDIO.tiff (79.87 KiB) Viewed 66621 times
I can't think of what I'm missing here!

Thanks!
jesse

Post by jesse »

I one of the earlier screenshots where you are configuring your FBV is shows that you are using port 2 but generating messages for *channel* 1. In the AULab window you have the active channel set to 2. Try changing that to 1, then try doing the learn binding in SL again for all your commands.

That was all I could see offhand.....
chief

Post by chief »

Got it working now. (FINALLY!)

Here's what I had to do:

1. Set the midi port in Line 6 FBV controller to port 2. This way it didn't affect any controls in POD farm - which is all routed to port 1.
2. In AU Lab set the midi control to port 2 of the FBV controller and manually set the channel to all.

No idea which channel it's sending on - but it's not 1 or 2.

Here's the problem I have now.

The sounds in pod farm are SO MUCH better in 88.1 - as in "no comparison better" - BUT SL freezes up in 88.1. Signal goes through - but I can't record anything.

I found a work around in setting the IR I use as cabs to 44.1 and putting SL AFTER the cabs - in Output 1 - I can manually record - but can't pull up anything in the Midi Effect Editor in AU Lab.

I'm using AU LAB 2.1 - would like to try 2.2 - but 2.2 doesn't recognize my apogee duet (sees it but doesn't send any audio).

Any tips/suggestions?
cyberlfip

Post by cyberlfip »

chief wrote:Got it working now. (FINALLY!)

Here's what I had to do:

1. Set the midi port in Line 6 FBV controller to port 2. This way it didn't affect any controls in POD farm - which is all routed to port 1.
2. In AU Lab set the midi control to port 2 of the FBV controller and manually set the channel to all.

No idea which channel it's sending on - but it's not 1 or 2.

Here's the problem I have now.

The sounds in pod farm are SO MUCH better in 88.1 - as in "no comparison better" - BUT SL freezes up in 88.1. Signal goes through - but I can't record anything.

I found a work around in setting the IR I use as cabs to 44.1 and putting SL AFTER the cabs - in Output 1 - I can manually record - but can't pull up anything in the Midi Effect Editor in AU Lab.

I'm using AU LAB 2.1 - would like to try 2.2 - but 2.2 doesn't recognize my apogee duet (sees it but doesn't send any audio).

Any tips/suggestions?
Should be working with the latest version, I'm rocking an apogee no issues...
Rontako

Post by Rontako »

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up