SL midi sync to tempo

Using SL inside Apple's MainStage

Moderator: jesse

fadster7575

SL midi sync to tempo

Post by fadster7575 »

I've been reading through the posts here, but seem unable to find the right answer for my issue, so I'm calling out to Jesse to once again solve the problem, as
he's done many many times before.
The biggest problem I have with SL is that of keeping steady tempo, esp when I record drums to accompany the track. It's near impossible to record a 'perfect' drum pattern and press the 'softstep' exactly on the mark of a 4/4 bar for the first sync track to start exactly on the 1st beat again. So I started using a beat from the MASCHINE, which is of course in perfect tempo.
The problem then is - how do I sync SL to the Beat. When I press the sync to Jack/Host it seems to do the right thing i.e. it syncs to the mainstage tempo, however I do have to press
manually the start/stop function and while the start function starts when the source signal goes in (thus easy to sync) it's near impossible to press the record/overdub exactly on the beat. So eventually if I run a song of 3 minutes, after about 45s the songs gets really out of sync.
Thus, what I need to do is: sync the SL to the beat so that it follows 4 bars exactly and loops back from beginning automatically, or at least with the pressin gof the key before the 'loop end' which then should tell it to go back to beginning. Is this at all possible, or is there another way of achieving this?
fadster7575

Re: SL midi sync to tempo

Post by fadster7575 »

I've just solved my own problem :D
For those interested here's what you do:
Set 'sync to' to Jack/Host
Go into SL settings and tick the box 'Round tempo to integer values on record'
and that's it.
Now when I record the first loop it starts at the beginning and when I press record/stop it will automatically round off at the end of the
host loop (which you can set to however many bars you want)
fadster7575

Re: SL midi sync to tempo

Post by fadster7575 »

Since i'm experimenting here here's a glitch I noticed:
the sync to external beat works find as a jack/host, however when I muted one of the loops the tempo went up by itself by 10bpm.
that's weird.