How to sync MainStage's tempo to SooperLooper?

Using SL inside Apple's MainStage

Moderator: jesse

jootly

How to sync MainStage's tempo to SooperLooper?

Post by jootly »

In SooperLooper's preferences i've checked "Output MIDI clock", but MainStage doesn't seem to receive those messages.
How do I make MainStage sync its tempo to the one set in SL?
tajika

Re: How to sync MainStage's tempo to SooperLooper?

Post by tajika »

I'm interested in that too. Any solution?
tajika

Post by tajika »

Ok, I did:

In Mainstage, in the Concert attribute tag select "learn tempo from midi input" and chose "SooperLooperAu_out". In SooperLooper's preferences I selected "Output Midi Clock". After a restart of Mainstage, SooperLooper was blocked - nothing worked anymore and Mainstage crashed after a while.

I guess, the procedure is I did is correct, but something not functional?

Any help much appreciated.

Robert
fundamental

Post by fundamental »

I don't think SL is outputting Midi Clock from the AU that I can tell, or at least it seems inconsistent, I have midi monitor hooked up and I don't see any clock message coming out of the port. I am still debugging. Works fine the other way, I can sync it to MS no problem.
tajika

Post by tajika »

So if the au is not outputting the midi clock, is there another way to sync Mainstage to sooperlooper's tempo? The other way round syncing sooperlooper to mainstage's tempo) works fine. But my live performance is based on live loops and it's essential to sync Mainstage (and all delays, samples, etc.) to Sooperlooper's tempo.

Thanks for your help.
fundamental

Post by fundamental »

I have it working now and as best as I can tell (and this is NOT conclusive) the AU is sensitive to patch settings. If you have one patch in your concert that has the Change tempo to: set to some tempo, and you hit that patch, the AU will stop sending clock altogether, and you have to restart MainStage to get the clock working again. I spent an afternoon doing this and it works every time now.

So it's important that you have the Get Tempo from MIDI Input set to SooperLooper_AU at the concert level and the Change tempo to: unchecked on your patches. Then every thing works swimmingly. As soon as you record a loop (if syncing to loop in my case) and create a tempo, MainStage will sync, trust me.

I suggest downloading this to help debug - it's invaluable http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

See the attached images for the settings.

Cheers

tls
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.37.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.37.51 AM.png (60.23 KiB) Viewed 55136 times
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.37.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 11.37.27 AM.png (68.46 KiB) Viewed 55136 times
fundamental

Post by fundamental »

I might take back everything I said - Now I am getting this and can't get the clock to work at all anymore once this stop message appears, so I am perplexed.
Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 7.27.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 7.27.38 AM.png (145.76 KiB) Viewed 55126 times
jesse

Post by jesse »

Hmm, if you have sync to set to Loop 1 in SL (which I assume you do?).... it will start sending clock as soon as you define a new loop 1 (by starting and finishing a record). And it looks like it sends a clock Stop message if you undo that loop to the Off state. Otherwise it should send clock start and tick messages....
fundamental

Post by fundamental »

Yeah it's something to do with the off setting of Loop 1. The screen above is what happens on startup of MainStage, so SL is sending that stop. I have a basic concert that I always start with and when I start Mainstage the stop message triggers when SL loads, and I can never get a clock going again regardless.

If I save the concert with a tempo, or SL in some state other than with that loop off, or with an internal tempo in SL for example rather than the Loop 1, the clock starts generating as soon as SL/Mainstage starts, even if tempo is zero actually.

Also after a while of say recording Loop 1 as the sync, undoing it a few times, the clock stops generating again.

I am just trying to figure out if it's a peculiarity of my set-up, or really a bug of some sort regarding the clock.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Very strange, it always seems to start up again for me when recording a new loop, but I haven't tried with your exact setup yet.
tajika

Post by tajika »

I followed fundamental's description and got it working once. Then, SooperLooper was sending the midi clock just fine (in midi monitor). However, Mainstage's tempo was right but misaligned by one 8th note; the "tap" button in SooperLooper showed the right tempo, but Mainstage's click was on the off-beat. Very strange.
Next time I started MainStage, SooperLooper wouldn't send the clock anymore and up to now I could not bring it to send it again.

Get-tempo is set on the concert level and all patches have the tempo settings deactivated.
fundamental

Post by fundamental »

Yes - I thought it could be my set up which is relatively complex so I set up a very simple concert with just SL & one loop. The clock behavior is still inconsistent. The only way I get a clock is if I save the concert with a loop in SL that has a tempo, then restart MainStage. If I start up with an empty loop(no tempo), no clock is generated, even when I record the 1st loop w/sync to that loop. Additionally the clock will stop running after a short period of time and not come back.

Happy to help debug if I can.
studio-ubk

Post by studio-ubk »

Hello All,

Any news on this problem ? I'm trying to achieve the exact same thing, but it seems to be pretty inconsistent : sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, ie. Mainstage doesn't always seem to receive Midiclock from Sooperlooper.

Is anyone successfully using Mainstage with Sooperlooper for live looping ? All I'm trying to achieve is to record a bassline loop on its own (with sooperlooper), then add pre-recorded beats and such from Mainstage which need to sync to the tempo defined by the freshly recorded bassline loop.