Record button…

Using SL inside Apple's MainStage

Moderator: jesse

SJL

Record button…

Post by SJL »

Hi,
Can any one help?
I have setup SL within Mainstage 2, works very well, my only problem at the moment is the button within the layout that I have mapped to 'record_or_overdub (sel)' only lights when pressed down rather than the whole time it is recording, so when layering loops it is impossible to see if it recording or not. A simple fix?
SL.
JeffHendricks

Re: Record button…

Post by JeffHendricks »

Can you give us some more info? When you say "button" do you have it mapped to a foot controller, and if so, what kind? The commands are MIDI, so it will only show activity when it is sending a message, i.e. "start recording" or "stop recording". It might be possible to set a foot controller to use a switched note on/off MIDI signal, but I'm not sure how SooperLooper would utilize that. What kind of control setup are you using?
SJL

Post by SJL »

Thanks for the reply.
Im using a Korg Nano Kontrol to send the midi commands I don't know if your familiar with it, but I wanted to use the record transport button to trigger the record button created in the layout in mainstage. It works fine, its just the record button in mainstage lights briefly so it can be tough to keep track when its stopping recording the loop or starting.
Like you say it lights when receiving a midi message (and only then) is there anyway I can adjust this to be on all the while recording the loop? I did make the Nano to send a toggled message, but the button in mainstage just lights when it receives the initial midi message.
SJL

Post by SJL »

…Also I have now noticed with separate record buttons for each loop (1-record cmd, etc.) the button in mainstage works as required, staying on while recording.
I really did not want to do it this way, as the buttons by each fader on the korg nano are being used for other commands.
martin

Post by martin »

I did the simple workaround that I just create 3 buttons on the mainstage layout.
Button 1 is mapped to 'record_or_overdub'. This is the button I click with the foot pedal. It's lit while waiting for record or overdub but not while record or overdub is going on.
Button 2 is mapped to 'record'. I never click it but it is lit when record is going on so I have a record light.
Button 3 is mapped to 'overdub'. I never click it but it is lit when overdub is going on so I have a overdub light.

So I just have three different indications (wait, record, overdub) and one foot pedal function (record or overdub).

SL 1.6.18 as AU in Mainstage 2, FCB1010 without modifications.
SJL

Post by SJL »

That sounds a great idea, thanks for your responsive, I will give it a go.
SJL

Post by SJL »

Got a chance to try this out, works perfectly, thank you so much for your response.
:D