Logic sync ?

Using SL inside Apple's Logic

Moderator: jesse

Soizic

Logic sync ?

Post by Soizic »

Hi all,

I'm a long time SL user and have to thank (again) Jesse for bringing us such a powerful tool, awesome job !

As I want to go further with my looping setup, I'm trying to have SL working as a slave to Logic X.

Here's the complete idea :

1- Set the tempo in Logic (tap tempo with a midi controller)
2- Record a midi instrument in Logic (not in SL at this time) in order to get my midi part quantized
3- Make Logic play a 2 bars-cycle (for example) thanks to the locators
3- Then I'd like SL to be synced with the 2-bars cycle of Logic in order to begin recording on the 1st beat of the 1st bar, and stop recording at the end of the 2nd bar (for example).

I tried many things for the "sync to", 8th/cycle" and "quantize" parameters, but doesn't manage to have SL syncing correctly, it seems to have a weird/odd behaviour !
The best results I had was with the "sync to" set to Midi clock and Jack/Host (logical !) but that wasn't really synced.
The "record" button is waiting for sync and then seems to begin recording in time but my loop is in fact never synced.

Any ideas ?
Thanks for your help !
Soizic

Re: Logic sync ?

Post by Soizic »

Almost one year later... I'm back ! ;-)
Can anyone help please ???

I'm really happy with my SooperLooper/Logic set up for all my audio loops.
Now I'd like to go further and add some software instruments to my set up (drum machine, bass, synths...) , and of course I want them to be synced with SL.

Here's what I'd like to do for example :

1- playing a drum pattern in a midi app (in Logic or in another app on my Mac, iPad...), then having SooperLooper synced to that drum part for recording audio loops.
2- recording an audio loop with SL, then recording midi drums in a midi app that would listen to SL tempo in order to quantize correctly the midi notes.

Anyone knows how I can manage to do that ?
Thank you for your help
Freasy

Post by Freasy »

You can sync SL to any MIDI clock. If you want to sync SL to your drum app, you have to set "sync to" on the gui to "MidiClock". SL is now synced to whatever MIDI clock is coming in to SL.
To sync something else to SL, you have to activate "Output MIDI Clock" in Preferences => Latency/Misc.
I recommend to set "quantize" in SL to "loop" and sync to "Loop1" or "Internal" since quantize with "cycle" or "8th" causes sync glitches with my setup. I don't know if other people have this too.

I hope I could help you!
Soizic

Post by Soizic »

Thanks for your answer :-)

I've already tried that but I didn't manage to have SL and Logic communicating to each other (I tried Logic as a master and SL slave and vice versa).
It's important to precise that I use SL as an audio plugin on an audio bus... maybe I have to open it as an "audio instrument" ?

By the way, it seems that Logic cannot be slaved to any other application (thanks Apple !).

Another option for me could be having a standalone (or rewire ?) application (a midi seq), and set the sync as you described... there's no reason that SL couldn't communicate with it.
I guess my MacBook will be able to do that : SL in Logic (as I use to have), and another standalone application (with its own instruments, or recording the sound of Logic's instruments).

What do you think of that ?
Freasy

Post by Freasy »

Since I don't own Logic and use SL in standalone (for now), I can't be precise on that one.
The question is: what do you want to do? Instruments from Logic play with SL or provide the sound input of SL?

I also tried using SL as an audio plugin and had exactly the same problem: communication doesn't work. I don't know if this is a bug or whatever causes the problem, but when using SL in standalone I can connect it to everything. Maybe you can run SL standalone and connect it to Logic this way?

To the last:
I think it's worth a try. I don't know what year your Macbook is from, mine is a Macbook Pro Early 2011 and it can handle a lot. I run several programs with SL and it works fine.

I will try to connect SL to Max/MSP though, I tried it once and failed. But now I'm wiser and older, so we will see :)
Soizic

Post by Soizic »

OK thanks for that.

I think I'm going to try to run SL in standalone and see if it can sync with Logic.
But I think I will need to use Jack for that, the routing will be more complex (SL, Jack, Logic...) but why not, my MacBook can handle it so I'll try...