Direct monitoring and sync record

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

thesteelydane

Direct monitoring and sync record

Post by thesteelydane »

Hi there

Thanks for creating this amazing looper. I use it as a plugin in Live 9.1 and got everything figured out, except a couple of things I hope someone can help me with:

1. I have routed the different loops to different tracks in Live, because I want different effects on them (Although I only have 8 stereo inputs in Live, no matter how many mono loops I create in SooperLooper - not yet a problem, but maybe someday it will be). However I can't get the signal from SooperLooper to go to the track as I'm recording it, only when looping starts do I hear it. This is a bummer, since I would like to apply my effects in realtime. I've fiddled around with the monitoring settings in SooperLooper, but to no avail. Does anyone have a solution to his?

2. I like to slave Live to the midi clock output of SooperLooper so I can create my tempo with the first loop. However, this means I can't record the output into Live, unless I turn Sync off. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Hope someone can help.

Nicolaj
jesse

Re: Direct monitoring and sync record

Post by jesse »

The "in mon" control should be sending it's live input through to its dedicated output but it looks like there is bug in there preventing it from doing anything. Good catch!

As for slaving Live to SL's midi clock, the whole situation isn't ideal due to the currently limited way SL deals with starting and stopping and positioning. I did get it to record in Live by manually hitting the main Live record button before SL starts the clock, and recording begins the moment your first loop record is finished. What is your desired workflow? I'm sure SL makes it hard to accomplish regardless...
thesteelydane

Post by thesteelydane »

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought there was something wonky going on with the "in mon".

While I'm here I thought I'd ask about the number of loops into Live - I can't seem to get more than 8 separate (stereo) loops. It makes no difference if I create mono loops, since Live doesn't operate with mono tracks (which I personally find that stupid) - they get grouped 3/4, 5/6 etc...Does that mean I can "only" have 8 loops with dedicated outputs? I tried creating a looper instance with 10 loops, and there are no dedicated outputs for the last two loops.

Thanks again for creating this amazing looper, I sent a donation as a small token of my gratitude.

Nicolaj
jesse

Post by jesse »

That's correct, currently that limit with respect to the side chain audio I/O had to be set ahead of time and so I set it at 9 (main I/O + 8 sidechain I/Os for the loops). I believe in the past I tried that higher and Live didn't actually give any more ports, so it's possible there was some kind of internal limit in Live. I haven't tried to increase it internally recently, so that might be different now.
jesse

Post by jesse »

[Also replied via email]

Hmm, I was investigating some more and discovered it actually is working as designed. The trick to using the "in mon" is that you have to be feeding the corresponding side chain inputs with the audio you want to monitor. To get what you want in Live will involve actually creating separate tracks for each loop for *input* too (regardless if you actually use the same physical input for each). You can either set them up to send their output to the SL plugin's side chain inputs, in which case to control the monitoring you would use SL's loop "in mon" controls when you actually wanted to hear it. Or since these are purely for the purpose of monitoring through your different effects tracks, you could just send their output to your effects tracks directly and then use Live's own controls to decide when you want to activate them. Either way, you are going to need to set up some bindings (midi, etc) to let you control exactly when you get that live monitoring through effects, as no auto mode is likely to work for you in this workflow.
thesteelydane

Post by thesteelydane »

Thanks Jesse! This does indeed work, but I can only get 3 dedicated inputs, no matter what I do, so I can only have 3 channels with direct monitoring. Is there a way around this?