Mutiple instances of SL

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

gtodd876

Mutiple instances of SL

Post by gtodd876 »

I tried using multiple instances of SL in live and SL freaked out and a message popped up saying it lost network connection and needed to be restarted. I normally set it up for one instance by tossing SL on an audio track and creating another audio and midi track. I send the audio input to the SL track and the midi track gets sent to SL as well. I turn on monitoring for all the tracks and it works great. I figured if I have multiple instance (let's say 3) then I need to 3 audio tracks and 3 midi tracks and some how switch between them depending on which sooplooper I want to use. I hope I'm even making sense. If anybody is using multiple instance I'd love to hear how you route it in Live.

Thank you,
Todd
pboy

Re: Mutiple instances of SL

Post by pboy »

Hi Todd,

Or try my Controller Clips method! Make a bunch of MIDI clips that contain the MIDI event that will call up the action in the looper. Set each such (controller clips) MIDI track's MIDI output to target one specific SL instance each. Now you can assign your MIDI controller foot pedal to the scene, which means it will trigger all clips on that horizontal row. By using the F-buttons on the computer you can now control which one, or all, of the the looper instances that will get this command.

I've been using this method since 2004 with both AU loopers on Mac and VST loopers on Windows. It's good because you use the same controlling interface in Live whatever looper you want to use for the day. The next stage would be to put chains of looper commands into the Controlling MIDI Clip, as an alternative to extensive tap dancing over your MIDI floor pedal ;)
gtodd876

Re: Mutiple instances of SL

Post by gtodd876 »

Brillant! :D Can't wait to try this out

Thank you