Ableton setup

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

therayman

Ableton setup

Post by therayman »

I am building a lIve Rig using Ableton Live 7. I use Live mainly because its so easy to route midi and audio. I don't trigger loops from it or use any of its instruments.
I did have a Roland RC-50 but that only had two inputs for its three loops and the midi control sucked. SooperLooper is far more flexible.

I have 3 sound sources:
1. Guitars fed from a Roland M-1000 digital sub mix that is hooked up to both acoustic and electric guitars and also feeds a GT Pro FX unit programmed by an FC-300 midi foot controller.
2. A Roland GR-20 guitar synth that feeds to both audio and midi to Ableton Live. The midi triggers a selection of Reason 5 soft synths which are rewired into Live.
3. Keys triggered by a Novation SL MkII using 2 midi channels separated for keys and pads. They also trigger Reason synths.

I mix what sounds I use for the GR20 and the keys on the SL Mk II and can control patches for both on the FC-300. It also mutes or un-mutes audio channels in Live simultaneously to set up the sounds for the keys or G synth. It takes a while to work out but is very effective and very simple to use.

I am trying to work out the best way to add loopers one for each set of sound sources. My first inclination was to feed the different mixes to separate aux channels in Live with a sooperlooper on each one. That works but I then have 3 separate SooperLoopers which I need to control. I have been using this setup very effectively in rehearsals controlling each looper using a mouse but I won't be able to do on stage. I have 4 buttons on the FC-300 that I can use. They can be either latched or momentary. I only need to use the record, play and mute functions. I wondered if there was a better way to set things up.
kasbah

Re: Ableton setup

Post by kasbah »

So as far as I understand your problem is that you need a separate SL instance for each instrument as the AU plug-in doesn't have discrete inputs (is that right?). It may be possible to use SL standalone and route your audio using jack. I am afraid I don't have much experience with Ableton or even SL and Jack on OSX and I hope I understood your question correctly.
therayman

Re: Ableton setup

Post by therayman »

Yes that would work. I have 16 channels on my soundcard and can feed the aux outs to 3 pairs of ins then route them anywhere I want. I haven't tried controlling the external Sooperlooper with midi yet but that would be a lot easier. Thanks a lot.