SL looping, but no audio?

Using SL inside Apple's Logic

Moderator: jesse

sunbrother

SL looping, but no audio?

Post by sunbrother »

I'm excited to get looping because this looks like a great piece of software, but I can't get it to playback any of the loops I've recorded. I turned up the input monitoring and I can hear myself playing through that, and the software appears to be looping all that I played into it, but there's no output from the plugin.

I installed it by dragging the app into my app folder and the plugin into HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ - everything is recognized by Logic and seems to be running smoothly except for the output.

As for the plugin, I've tried different routings- before any effects, after other effects, and on a separate bus, all without any luck. Is there a step of configuration that I've missed? Do I need to set it to communicate w the host in a different way? If someone could help, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
tbuechse

Re: SL looping, but no audio?

Post by tbuechse »

Hi Rob,

same with me.
Anybody some ideas to involve this Program with Logic?

Best regards

Tim
warren

Post by warren »

I'm having a similar issue. I put SL on a bus. I send audio to the bus. I see the audio levels in SL. I record something. I see the output audio levels fluctuating as SL plays the loop. but i hear no audio output. Most plugins automatically send their output back to the bus - is there some configuration aspect I'm missing? Remnants of past configurations haunting me? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Warren
pboy

Post by pboy »

Here's how to do it in Logic:

1. Open SL on virtual instrument track as an "AU Controlled MIDI Effect".
2. Open the SL plug-in and use Logic's Side Chain slot in the upper right corner to fetch the audio input - either directly from a system input or from a Bus. If choosing to get audio from a Bus you simply use the track Aux fx send on any other track to send signal to be looped.

Here's a screen shot to explain: http://www.looproom.com/bilder/logiclooper2.png Although another looping plug-in is used in this example the setup is the same that works well for me with SL in Logic.
warren

Post by warren »

Thanks, but...

I'm able to put SL onto a SW Inst track so it appears as the first item in the Track's I/O section, directly above "Output 1-2". I'm able to set the Sidechain to either Input 1 or Bus 1 and get a signal into SL either way. I'm still able to record a loop, still able to watch the "out" meter in the SL GUI pulsate in time to whatever must be recorded in there. I still have the volume at the out meter set to the max, at 0db. But I still can't hear the output at all.
warren

Post by warren »

Whoops - i think i figured it out: i needed to insert the stereo version instead of the mono.
ghard

Post by ghard »

Yep,

I can confirm that on Logic/Mainstage - the plugin doesn't work as an insert on a mono track. Stereo works as it should. A bug with a work-around but a bug nevertheless. Happens with the latest version (v. 1.6.13)

Well. at least now I finish configuring my rig so I can go on playing with myself in the dark corners :)

Yrjänä
jeremy tranter

Post by jeremy tranter »

I use Sooperlooper running as a JACK client and then put each mono loop into its own track in Logic for recording. I guess I could route Software instruments and fx out of Logic and into SL if I wanted to.

Anyone else using JACK version like this?

Regards

Jeremy
strask

Post by strask »

I have followed precisely the description in the thread of how to make SL work as a plug-in in Logic but all I have is a pretty interface that responds to no input, either sound or any keyboard input.
strask

Post by strask »

Fixed for me: Although the SooperLooper AU will load, via the 32-bit Bridge, in a 64-bit Logic session, the program will not work. Switching to a 32-Bit audio session fixed everything.
comfortstarr

Post by comfortstarr »

Hi all, thought I'd add to this thread as opposed to starting another.

New user here. I'm having the same "no audio" / routing issues. I've tried to copy the instruction from above, but to no avail. I suspect it's a misunderstanding of routing and side chains.

Here's what I've done:

1) Take an audio track (for guitar) and route to bus 3 (making sure bus 3 is stereo). Audio is indeed going to Bus 3!
2) Create a new virtual instrument track in the arrange window and ONLY add an instance of the SL plugin. It's routed to the main Stereo Out in Logic, it is not routed to any Aux/Bus.
3) In the plug-in control window for SL--so not the actual SL interface), select Bus 3 in the Side Chain pulldown, then click the button with the chain icon.

There's nothing going into or out of SL in with the above.

If I just put SL into the bus, and send audio to it from the guitar track, I can get SL to work (not sure how you record it however in this instance).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (P.S. I'm also posting in Midi Setup, I can't figure out how to map a Logidy UMI3 to the SL plug-in).
Limelow

Post by Limelow »

comfortstarr wrote:Hi all, thought I'd add to this thread as opposed to starting another.

New user here. I'm having the same "no audio" / routing issues. I've tried to copy the instruction from above, but to no avail. I suspect it's a misunderstanding of routing and side chains.

Here's what I've done:

1) Take an audio track (for guitar) and route to bus 3 (making sure bus 3 is stereo). Audio is indeed going to Bus 3!
2) Create a new virtual instrument track in the arrange window and ONLY add an instance of the SL plugin. It's routed to the main Stereo Out in Logic, it is not routed to any Aux/Bus.
3) In the plug-in control window for SL--so not the actual SL interface), select Bus 3 in the Side Chain pulldown, then click the button with the chain icon.

There's nothing going into or out of SL in with the above.

If I just put SL into the bus, and send audio to it from the guitar track, I can get SL to work (not sure how you record it however in this instance).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (P.S. I'm also posting in Midi Setup, I can't figure out how to map a Logidy UMI3 to the SL plug-in).
Hey comfortstarr, just wanted to ask if you solved you audio/routing issue? If so please share the solution. Thanks.
Last edited by Limelow on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
timurb

Post by timurb »

I had exact same problem on my Mac: SooperLooper received audio but didn't play it back.
After I changed it to Stereo version all started to work fine. Thank you for the tip!
lexenluis

Post by lexenluis »

timurb wrote:I had the exact same problem on my Mac: SooperLooper received audio but didn't play it back.
After I changed it to Stereo version all started to work fine. Thank you for the tip!
I change to the stereo version. First, it works then after it didn't play. Is there anything I missed?