FCB1010 programming w/ Sooper Looper

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

joedrums

FCB1010 programming w/ Sooper Looper

Post by joedrums »

Hello,

I am asking a ground up question. How in the world do I assign pedals on my FCB1010 to functions in Sooper Looper? I've read the documentation and have the jist of it, but the specifics of putting FCB into program mode and having it trigger specific functions.

j
sam_square

Re: FCB1010 programming w/ Sooper Looper

Post by sam_square »

I found the yahoo fcb1010 forum to be a good place to start if you're totally lost.

Are you unable to get your pedal to send program change messages? I don't really know what you need to do - I just turn mine on and it's ready to go. I got an uno mod chip so I can program it with the computer.
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

What is a mod chip?
When you say turn on and go, do you mean out of the box it was able to command sooper looper to do everything you wanted it to do?
j
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

http://www.ossandust.be/ - that's the mod.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/files/
You'll need to register there.

Yes, the pedal should be able to command it out of the box, but that's not how I did it.
Programming that thing is a bit painful. You should get the chip and the software...it's worth it.

If I remember right, the pedal should be set up to send program changes. I belive SL can map these. Have you tried mapping yet?
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

Thanks,

This is helpful. I don't know what mapping is. Do you mean have I pressed the buttons on the pedal yet while running sooper looper.

j
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

It's in the sooperlooper preferences - poke around in the menu a bit, you'll find it. I dont' have it in front of me right now...
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

Hi Sam,

Well I found everything got on the forum and am diving in. Can you explain exactly why the mod chip is a good thing to buy? What are the glitches that are inherant in the FCB. How does the mod chip fix them.?
j
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

The chip lets you program the unit solely from the computer, you don't have to set the pedal to receive a sysex message. I also enables something called stompbox mode. You can also program the pedal to send midi notes - which is what I needed.
joedrums

Post by joedrums »

cool
thanks man
j
macconvert

Post by macconvert »

I have found that you do not need to get the mod chip. The thing that you have to know about the FCB1010 is that is ships from the factory setup to work specifically with Behringer amps and the V-amp. All of the presets are setup to have the 10 pedals send program changes. A program change is usually sent to controllers (like keyboards) and it will change the patch (or sound). For example, maybe your piano sound is PATCH1 and electric piano is PATCH5. The FCB1010 would work great for this arrangement since it is setup to do program changes of the buttons. Basically, they figure that the main users of these pedal boards are guitarists and keyboardists and changing patches or sound setups with one pedal press is the most likely use of this unit. The trick is to put the FCB1010 into NOTE mode and have each foot pedal send a note value instead of a program change command. For loopers, we are using this to trigger midi events (like a keyboard, just on the floor).

There are two ways to do this.

1. read the manual on how to setup the FCB1010 to transmit NOTES instead of program changes. Setup all 10 pedals to send a different midi note. When you press the pedal down, you get a NOTE ON signal and when you let off you get a NOTE OFF signal. Then you can assign the notes in the midi bindings section of sooperlooper.
2. Get a SysEx dumping program for your PC or MAC, download the SysEx file for Guitar rig (these are preprogrammed to send note values instead of program changes so you skip the manual proramming of the unit). Put the FCB1010 into SysEx receive mode (see manual) and then play the file to record to the FCB1010
- here is the path to the FCB guitar rig stuff http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GuitarRig ... 20FCB1010/

hope this helps. I may post a Youtube video for folks who would like.
sireasoning

Post by sireasoning »

Here is an issue that I ran into using notes on the fcb1010 without the uno upgrade and also having a Yamaha VL70-m in the midi path. I would get a note played on every midi command that I would send, even though I did not have anything but the note activated on the 10 pedals that i setup for use on sooperlooper. I had another 10 pedals setup for use of my VL70-m but both should have been exclusive to the actual unit.

Bank 0 was setup to control the VL70-M using program changes
Bank 1 was setup to control sooperlooper using notes

But despite this I would sometimes get a program change (on my VL70-m) on Bank1 (footpedal 0/10), and I would get a note played by whatever instrument was active on the VL70-m while on Bank 1 (all pedals I think)

Would the uno chip resolve this issue? Is this a MIDI routing issue and if so how should I route? I have a 2x2 port midiman usb powered midi interface.
AJRussell

Post by AJRussell »

I realise this is an old thread I'm resurrecting, but this link I think has the best info on programming the FCB without the UnO mod chip.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Behringer_ ... MIDI_Pedal

You don't really need the mod chip. It's handy, sure, but the pedal works just fine without it. Yes, the programming is hardly intuitive, but fact is, it works. You just need to learn to use it. It's a whole other instrument, and to me, buying the UnO chip and having to take your FCB apart to fit the thing is the same as putting stickers with the note names on your Steinway's keys.