[Solved] Load and Save Session with Audio

Problems getting SL up and running on Linux? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

mudfly

[Solved] Load and Save Session with Audio

Post by mudfly »

Hi,

I have compiled 1.6.11 today under Ubuntu Studio Intrepid. The version in the Debian and Ubuntu repositories is very old (2005) and besides that I don't have very much experience with sooperlooper. So far I am having a good time learning the program and looping but I am having some issues and I am not sure if it is something I am doing, if its a bug, or if I am missing something.

When I try and "load" I assume I am loading an existing wav file, the dialog that pops up says "Choose file to open on remote host "" " and does not give me a file browser as I would expect. The same dialog pops up when I select "Save session with Audio". When saving, and this dialog pops up, it does not really allow me to save my work so everything I have done is lost.

At this point I don't mind, because I am still experimenting, but, It would be nice if this was not the case, because even when experimenting, I would like to save my progress.

I am also having some crashing issues, I don't know if its sooperlooper or jack, but what happens is sooperlooper disconnects with jack, and then I have the above issue where I cannot save my progress.

I will gladly report bugs, if these are not known issues, but some help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI, I am running jack 0.116.0 that was released today, FFADO RC1 firewire driver, and SooperLooper 1.6.11 on Intrepid Ubuntu Studio.

thanks!
Last edited by mudfly on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudfly

Re: Load and Save Session with Audio

Post by mudfly »

ok well I had to remove my .sooperlooper directory and now I get the dialog I expect. I should have thought to do that before posting.
guysmiley

Re: [Solved] Load and Save Session with Audio

Post by guysmiley »

I actually have this problem and I don't know how to remove the .sooperlooper directory..

When I click "save" it simply asks me to save on the "remote host" and doesn't let me browse to my desktop to save it there.. and when i save the loop.. i can't find it again.. because i don't know where to look for it. where is the remote host?
mudfly

Post by mudfly »

Hey GuySmiley, I sent you an email but for the record I will also post here.

You can delete your .sooperlooper folder with the following command,

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.sooperlooper
In plain english this means, remove the folder .sooperlooper and everything below it in my home directory (~/)

I have not played with sooperlooper since around the time of my posting, but I am still quite interested in using it in my workflow. (some day)
jesse

Post by jesse »

In general, if you get that message when trying to load or save a loop, SL thinks that you are running the GUI from a different machine than the engine. This usually means that your hostname does not actually map to your machine's IP. If you run 'hostname' in a terminal to get what is YOURHOSTNAME, then run 'ping YOURHOSTNAME' and you don't get good responses, this is the problem. One way to fix this is to make sure your hostname maps to your IP address in your /etc/hosts file.

I don't know why removing ~/.sooperlooper would help! That is interesting.....

But regarding what you type in that basic dialog if you get it, just a pathname in your filesystem... if you put in an absolute path like /home/jesse/crazyloop.wav for instance, that's where it will look or save. The directory will need to exist for saves to work. Hopefully you can resolve the issue. A newer version of SL might help.... but maybe I need to make a new release.
joeSeggiola

Post by joeSeggiola »

I've got the same issue. "Load" and "Save" loop buttons does not work. "Save session with audio" does not work too. I tried removing .sooperlooper, but nothing happened.

lorenzo@XUBUNTU:~$ hostname

XUBUNTU
lorenzo@XUBUNTU:~$ ping XUBUNTU

PING XUBUNTU (127.0.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from XUBUNTU (127.0.1.1): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.036 ms
64 bytes from XUBUNTU (127.0.1.1): icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.035 ms
64 bytes from XUBUNTU (127.0.1.1): icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.038 ms
lorenzo@XUBUNTU:~$ cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1	localhost
127.0.1.1	XUBUNTU

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters 
joeSeggiola

Post by joeSeggiola »

Update: load/save works well only if I do:

$ sooperlooper &
$ slgui -H XUBUNTU
For some reason, seems that sooperlooper engine starts using XUBUNTU as its hostname instead of localhost. And slgui does not the same, connecting to localhost.
kasbah

Post by kasbah »

I had this issue as well. Removing the ~/.sooperlooper will not fix it. Using the -H flag is indeed a workaround.

$ slgui -H `hostname`
Meanwhile, I tracked down the bug in the code and fixed it. Unless there was a good reason to hard set the host to "localhost" at that point.

Index: src/gui/gui_app.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/sooperlooper/sooperlooper/src/gui/gui_app.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.37
diff -u -r1.37 gui_app.cpp
--- src/gui/gui_app.cpp	21 Sep 2011 19:34:40 -0000	1.37
+++ src/gui/gui_app.cpp	5 Jan 2012 08:33:15 -0000
@@ -187,7 +187,7 @@

GuiApp::GuiApp()
-	: _frame(0), _host(wxT("localhost")), _port(0)
+	: _frame(0), _host(wxT("")), _port(0)
 {
 	_show_usage = 0;
 	_show_version = 0;
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I tested the fix on Arch Linux and Ubuntu 10.04 without encountering issues.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Hmm, there was a good reason for the hardcoded localhost, but I also need to do the same thing on the server side....

The reason was that without specifying, the overwhelmingly common case of running the gui and the server on the same host often was unreliably related to the systems network configuration and could easily break for users, especially on Macs. Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a better fix for the next release.
kasbah

Post by kasbah »

I see. But later this is changed to 127.0.0.1 anyway in loop_control.cpp line 317:

if (_spawn_config.host == "127.0.0.1" || _spawn_config.host == "localhost") {
	char tmpbuf[100];
	snprintf (tmpbuf, sizeof(tmpbuf), "osc.udp://127.0.0.1:%d/", _our_port);
	_our_url = tmpbuf;
	cerr << "Changing our url to be : " << _our_url << endl;
}
EDIT: In fact, changing it to localhost there rather than 127.0.0.1 solves the issue:

if (_spawn_config.host == "127.0.0.1" || _spawn_config.host == "localhost") {
	char tmpbuf[100];
	snprintf (tmpbuf, sizeof(tmpbuf), "osc.udp://localhost:%d/", _our_port);
	_our_url = tmpbuf;
	cerr << "Changing our url to be : " << _our_url << endl;
}
Not sure why you would have to change it to localhost if it should already be configured to localhost, but there you go.