Latency goes up after a while

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

Mr. Hide

Latency goes up after a while

Post by Mr. Hide »

Hi there,

I try to use sooperlooper with my MacBook 2,2 GHz 4GB Ram.
It works with Jack OSX Mainstage and the internal CoreAudio.
The routing is as follows:
From my guitar -> Line6 X3Live (Phones Out) -> Inputs of the MacBook (latency 128)-> through JackOSX -> Loop 1 and 2 in from Sooperlooper
Loop 1 and 2 out-> MacBook out-> Mixer
From Mainstage (triggered by Guitar throug Roland GI-10) Out 1 and 2-> Loop 1 and 2 in ->-> Loop 1 and 2 out-> MacBook out-> Mixer

I use for Midi controlling the FCB1010.

Now, first it works fine. After a while of playin' around, there's a latency of the signal coming from the MacBook in: Then it's not possible to play in time with my recorded loop.

Any suggestions??

2. question: What's about fading out a loop? Is it possible with one CC (like it works on the Boss 20XL)?

Thanks,

Klaus
jesse

Re: Latency goes up after a while

Post by jesse »

Are you describing two different setups? Why use both JACK and MainStage, instead of using the SooperLooper AU plugin inside of mainstage? Or are you trying to loop both your direct input and some effected signal from mainstage in the same SL instance (via JACK)? There must be an easier way.

I'll need some more detail about your setup. Are you trying to monitor your input through the computer, instead of hardware monitoring via your mixer?

SL has latency compensation settings built in, but since you are feeding it from multiple audio sources (one of which might add more latency) things could get confusing fast. Can you try to describe exactly what you are experiencing that leads to "not being able to play in time"? Try to give step by step listing of your actions. There is a lot of room for ambiguity when it comes to this topic.

As for the fading, do you mean an automatic fade out, for example, hitting a button and having it fade? If so, that feature isn't in SL yet. You can of course bind a midi control to the output level of a loop and do it manually.
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

I've been having the same problem using SL in Ableton, though I'm not entirely sure it's the fault of SL.

Deselecting and reassigning my audio input device solves the latency delay. Not sure how to troubleshoot this one...

Hahn
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

btw, it always happens after I do some kind of processor intensive audio mangling with plug-ins...

Hahn
trent

Post by trent »

As much as I would love to see a Pro-Tools RTAS version of SL, Im using it in Ableton live, as a plug in, and am also getting hideous latency issues.

particularly, with using my Roland FC-200 to finnish the loop i create, it's impossible to get a precise beat, it's always out by about 50-60 milliseconds, and
throws the loop out. Midi latency???
jesse

Post by jesse »

Have you tried experimenting with the latency compensation features in the Preferences->Misc/Latency tab? Turn off the automatic checkbox and start tweaking values. Check the web-page for some documentation on what the input/output latency means. You might find that it helps.
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

I've not had a problem with rhythmic looping with the latest versions of SL AU in Ableton on my Macbook. I think it was a rel-sync issue before but since I don''t need it I've deselected it and had no problems.

I just realized (duh) that I am not monitoring my loop sources THROUGH SL so SL is probably NOT the culprit for latency changes in my sessions (monitor latency suddenly increasing in the middle of a session - independent of any SL operations). Is there a possibility the problem might be linked to SL? Doesn't seem logical but you never know...

Hahn