clicks or pops in multiply mode

Problems getting SL up and running on a Mac? Post here.

Moderator: jesse

enjolis

clicks or pops in multiply mode

Post by enjolis »

This appears to be new issue where I'm getting a staticy kind of sound when I use the multiply function to lengthen the loop. I get a clicky kind of sound on every downbeat of the new length. I think this problem only started when I switched to standalone mode through Jack. Before I had SL as a Logic Plugin and before that in Mainstage. I was having so many problems with both of those setups but now this seems to be the only persistent problem. I've tried increasing and decreasing the crossfade which seems to best around 60. I'm wondering if there is any other setting I'm missing. Thanks for reading this.
jesse

Re: clicks or pops in multiply mode

Post by jesse »

Can you save your SL session and post it (or email to me jesse@essej.net ) so I can see all the parameters?

Also, what kinds of problems were you having with the AU?
enjolis

Post by enjolis »

Wow, thanks for a really quick reply. I'll attach my session file and just for laughs the Jack routing file. The click thing seems to be intermittent. I keep tryings and suddenly the problem goes away and I think I've solved it but then it comes back.

My first AU problems were in Mainstage where it would cause the instruments to not respond to MIDI even though it was showing in the display. The workaround was to load a non-looper set up first and then the looper setup would work. But then that stopped working too so I switched to Logic 8. That was great until SL just wouldn't record at all until a AU instrument sent it's audio to it. Then it would cough and go in spurts.

Then I went with Jack and it seems to be working great except for this clicking thing so I try to avoid using the multiply function too much.

Thanks again! here come the files I hope
jesse

Post by jesse »

Those Logic issues were probably due to overeager optimization on Apple's part, trying to guess when there is no audio coming in and just not running the plugin at all. Obviously, I need the plugin to always run to handle any kind of events. There must be a secret way to let the host know to always run me, but I haven't found it yet. One workaround would be to feed the channel with the plugin with some disconnected analog input from your audio interface just to get some low level noise signal in to make it run us.
enjolis

Post by enjolis »

That does make sense except that the plugin is always receiving audio in this case. The way I have it routed is I have an aux channel with SL as an insert. Then I have an instrument channel and an audio input channel both with sends to the SL aux.

There are some things I like about having it run outside of logic. It makes for a little more set up time before the show though.

Thank you!