The ultimate FCB setup (for song oriented players)

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

Chris Sewell

The ultimate FCB setup (for song oriented players)

Post by Chris Sewell »

Maybe collectively we can come up with the ultimate FCB setup. 10 Buttons and 2 Pedals. I don't think this is possible as SL exists now, but it would be great eventually.

This would be cool, sort of a combination of the EDP and the RC50.

Button 1. Record/Play
Button 2. Overdub Selected Loop
Button 3. Stop/Play
Button 4. Loop 2 Select, Options: Auto record if empty, play if filled. With an option for Round of course.
Button 5. Loop 3 Select, Same.

Options for Multi Loop (3 at a time) or Single mode 1 at a time.
This would mimic the best part of the RC50.

Button 6. Clear selected Loop with short press, clear all with Long Press.
Button 7. Multiply
Button 8. Reverse/Half Time etc.
Button 9. Undo/Redo
Button 10. Sync On/Off.
Coop4Music

Re: The ultimate FCB setup (for song oriented players)

Post by Coop4Music »

remind us noobs again what FCB is again? I take it it's a control surface?
Chris Sewell

Post by Chris Sewell »

Yes, the FCB1010 Midi foot controller. Sorry.
polimorfos

Post by polimorfos »

I have a 2 loop SL/FCB setup which does most of this. It's probably not the most elegant solution but I will post it when I have time...

Hahn
carsandtrains

Post by carsandtrains »

nice, that sounds like it could work nicely. i'm actually using SL within ableton live, so i've already got my FCB dedicated to ableton purposes, except for pedal 8. i historically have used my BCR2000 to control some of the other stuff... i know i can have it all on the extra banks on the FCB, but switching banks on it while i'm playing scares me.

i'm actually moving into SL land from musolomo, so still trying to figure out all the bindings (particularly simple stuff like stop/clear all loops. i'm looking forward to it though, it is a lot more powerful definitely.
trent

Post by trent »

Roland FC-200!

In note mode, same as for EDP, especially #9, NEXT LOOP!!!

scrolling through loops is critical, in loop quantize mode, be great if it a next loop' bind could be added! :idea:
one man band

Post by one man band »

Guys, how did you get SL to learn your midi bindings? I am having no luck whatsoever...
omb
jeremy tranter

Post by jeremy tranter »

one man band wrote:Guys, how did you get SL to learn your midi bindings? I am having no luck whatsoever...
omb
Good thing to think about first is a logical system of assigning the notes/controllers/program changes to operations.

For example:
C = record ; D = overdub ; E = multiply ; F = (reserved) ; G = mute/trigger ; A = undo ; B = redo
C# = (unassigned) ; D# = substitute ; F# = reverse ; G# = once ; A# = trigger
C1 (note 36) through to B1 (note 47) I use for loop 1
C2 (note 48) through to B2 (note 59) for loop 2 etcetera
C0 through to B0 I have set up for selected loop with F0 set to select next loop.
Continuous controllers: cc31-38 feedback ; cc41-48 pan ; cc51-58 individual loop input gain ; cc01 master input gain

You can set up your foot controller or control surface to send what you want from each button/knob and then send the message for SL to learn...... So on to your question at last:

1. Get Sooperlooper up and running. I'm using the JACK version with MIDI Patchbay routing the MIDI to SL. Use MIDI Monitor to make sure you are sending MIDI into your computer and it is being routed to SL.

2. Click on Preferences in SL, click on tab MIDI Bindings.

3. In Command/Control box (bottom left) in MIDI Bindings window select the command you want to bind to from the first pull down box. [cmd] record is a good one to start with.

4. From second pull down box labelled Loop # choose selected (or the number of the loop you want to bind to).

5. In MIDI Event box (bottom right) click the Learn button then send the MIDI event you want to bind to that function.

6. Click Add New button and you will see the new binding added to the list in MIDI Bindings window.

I can send you my slb file if you want to have a look at the way I've chosen to do it. I'm using a BCR2000 and MFC10 with an option on all sorts of other MIDI sources.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy
monosynthluv

Post by monosynthluv »

Hey there, i just got a FCB1010 and i am trying to set it up with sooperlooper. Now i followed the instructions below and when i get to step 5, and i hit my FCB to try and get it to learn the function, it doesnt recognize it. I am interfacing to my computer through a midisport Uno Midi-to-USB converter and it seems to be receiving my midi-in messages. What am i doing wrong? Is ther something on FCB that needs to be setup? Thanks in advance.
ghostly

Post by ghostly »

Anybody have anything else to add on this? I am setting up my FCB / SL jamming setup and am curious what others are up to... 8-)
froh

Post by froh »

Hi, this summer I bought a Saffire Pro 24 firewire interface and an fcb1010 for use with Sooperlooper and Ardour. I did not get to practice as much as I had hoped, but I really enjoyed using SL. It's a great rock solid piece of software!

But I still have not settled on MIDI bindings for my fcb. It's really easy to use If I just layer on top of one groove, but this gets really repetitive after a while.
Can someone please share their setup, my goal is to change theme in a song with as few button presses as possible.

jesse: will SL development continue? And would a donation help speeding things up? Features like clear session and stop_or_trigger: http://www.essej.net/slforum/viewtopic. ... 1112#p1880 are most welcome.
josh

Post by josh »

Working with something like an FCB (has 10 buttons anyway. Midi Buddy it's called)

Four buttons set up so that when you press them they trigger if not currently engaged, record if not engaged and haven't been recorded, overdub if currently engaged. Other buttons = Record, Undo, Trigger, pause current loop and Midi Start, Midi Stop

Had to hack up a Mididings scripts to do this and it's still a bit buggy... Start, Stop cause problems, but I think that this is a bug in Sooperlooper when controlled via Midiclock. Would be amazing if sooperlooper did more of this out of the box. The software is great overall, but has a ton of potential still. Could easily beat any hardware looper out there with some small improvements and fixes. Tried to do some of this myself, but I don't have the patience to work with something this complicated or edit someone elses code :-)
Soizic

Post by Soizic »

Hello FCB users,

Do you know how to assign one switch of my FCB to the midi binding "Select loop num..." ?
I'd like to have for example : switch 1 to select SL loop 1, switch 2 to select SL loop 2, switch 3 to select SL loop 3...

The midi binding "Selected_loop_num" listens to CC (not PC or Note messages) and its data associated, but I don't manage to make my FCB send the right data byte...
I have iFCB to program my FCB easily but still don't find the right solution.

Thanks for your help
Soizic

Post by Soizic »

OK, I managed to have any switch of my FCB selecting any loop # thanks to this post (and Jesse answer for quite the same question) : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36

Set your FCB (via iFCB or manually) to send a different CC on the switches you want to dedicate to select the loops.
In the midi bindings window, tab "Midi event", you have to adjust the "target range" field : enter the same number in the 2 fields (0 to 0 will select the 1st loop, 1 to 1 will select the 2nd loop, 2 to 2 will select the 3rd loop etc...)

Hope this help
Thanks Jesse !