select a loop via midi problem

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

rasmusfris

select a loop via midi problem

Post by rasmusfris »

Hi all!

I am on Mac and are trying to figure out how to select an exact loop via midi in the midi bindings, all work just fine with record overdub and so on using the midi bindings and I can use next loop and prev loop, but I would prefer to have dedicated button´s assigned to the loops! My midi controller is sending program change at the moment!
I can see that dedicated loops can be selected with key commands soo??
Thanks for your help! :D

Rasmus
rasmusfris

Re: select a loop via midi problem

Post by rasmusfris »

Hi Again!!

Problem solved, by using controller messages to select the loops!!

Would be nice though, to be able to use program change to select loops ;)

Sincerely Rasmus
jesse

Post by jesse »

The way to set up a midi binding to select a specific loop number is as follows:

In the Preferences->MIDI Bindings tab, select the 'g. ctrl: selected_loop_num' from the control dropdown.
Set or learn the midi event you want to use. Set both fields of the Targ Range to the same number, which is the loop index you want to switch to (starting from 0). For instance, for the first loop, you set both fields to 0. Or for the second loop, set them both to 1, etc. Then hit Add New or Modify to create/commit the change to the binding.

You should be able to use any type of midi event you want, no matter what value the CC or note has, it will just switch to the specified loop.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Alas, SL doesn't have an increment/decrement ability for midi events. All the various range controls do is adjust the scaling and offset of the absolute values coming into the messages. What you need would be a new feature.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Setting the Targ Range to 0.85 - 1.15 and the Data range to the default 0-127 should work. Did you use commas or periods as the decimal point? If one doesn't work try the other. Sometimes an expression pedal doesn't send the full 0-127 range, so you can adjust the data range to match whatever your pedal is actually sending out.

Basically, a midi event with the lower Data range value will be interpreted as the lower Target range in the control's units, and the upper data range as the upper target range, where any value above or below the data range limits are clipped to that value.