[Linux] Jack Master can't be enabled by default

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

ORL

[Linux] Jack Master can't be enabled by default

Post by ORL »

Hello,

I'm not quite sure this subject wouldn't fit better in Linux troubleshooting section, or in osc section. Feel free to move it!

So, here it is, I've got sooperlooper running on a Debian GNU/Linux distribution, with many others apps at the same time.
I would like all apps to be sync to jack transport, and sooperlooper to be the jack master one.
Indeed, it works, but the fact is I can't get the setting 'sooperlooper as jack timebase master' fixed as a default. I tried saving a session, but it didn't work either, and I didn't find a command line option which would lead sooperlooper to start with this option enabled.
I've tried working with the gui_config.xml file, without success, too.

So I wonder if it was a bug (I think there might be something like this in it), or there was a trick to make it work.

Actually, I use a bash script that I worte to start, and connect all the applications I use, and I need this option to be enabled at startup. Moreover, when I change this option after starting all the applications, sooperlooper becomes jack timebase master, but all the others apps remain mute, so there must be something wrong (it looks as if alsaseq -or at least alsa seq connections- was reset).

Just tell me.

Aurélien
jesse

Re: [Linux] Jack Master can't be enabled by default

Post by jesse »

It sounds like a bug that the jack transport master setting isn't saved. That should be easily remedied.

However, your issues with other apps when using it after manually turning it on sounds fishy... it seems unlikely that SL would cause problems like that.
ORL

Post by ORL »

OK, that's what I thought about the setting which cannot be saved. Shall I open a bug report, or is it already being fixed?
I forgot to tell you that I had checked with a saved session, and took a look into the slsess file: the global parameter "jack_timebase_master" was set to 1, so it's probably something due to config file reading and not to config file saving.
I am not on the same PC by now, and cannot copy/paste the file, but it looked like:
<Globals alotofparameters="alotofvalues" jack_timebase_master="1"/>
I tried turning it to true, and to 0, but it always gave the same result.
Hope it helps.

For the rest of the problem, I think it's much more like apps-jack transport problems. Apps cannot receive a valid jack master information, so they probably use their internal one, and then when overriden, it just doesn't com back fine. I guess (as I hadn't the time to check whether this assumption was true) that midi connections are just reset at that time, though they always appear in jack. But, if I set sooperlooper as jack timebase master at the beginning, it doesn't lead to this problem, so it's probably not a matter of sooperlooper.
ORL

Post by ORL »

Sorry for the delay, I was a bit busy...
I just downloaded last sooperlooper version and compiled it from sources, and this jack timebase master checkbox always can't be saved in the preferences.
I will soon take a look at the source code (but I first need playing music with my band!), but if someone else wants to fix that.