adventurous setup

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

a.bruno2

adventurous setup

Post by a.bruno2 »

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum and new to SL, and I'm quite excited by what I just did: I'm buiding up a system made of a Roland VG-99 with an FC-300 pedal board, and an Intel MacBook with SL installed. The first great surprise was that it's possible to excange audio via USB! So I can decide from which point of the VG-99 effects chain I want to send the signal to the SL, and then in which point I want it back from SL (in other words the loop will be inserted in the effect chain with a virtual send/return), having the only phisical audio output from the VG, and therefore having only a USB cable running...http://www.essej.net/slforum/posting.php?mode=post&f=7# This is, to me, just great! But not enough; I'm now looking for a way to send CC messages from the FC-300 to SL via USB again: I connected 4 extra switches to the pedal board, found my way through the VG-99 settings to have the commands travelling from the pedal board to the Vg via the RRC2 cable, then to SL via the USB cable through the midi Patchbay. It actually works, but only partially: using the "learn" function the commands get recognized and work fine with up to 2 controllers, if I try to set up a third and a forth SL goes mad and don't respond properly to the foot switches' commands.http://www.essej.net/slforum/posting.php?mode=post&f=7#
I know, what I'm trying to explain is complicated and maybe not very clear; my question is mainly: Is anybody out there using the same stuff and facing the same difficulties?
Thanks for beeing patient, anyway

Al
jesse

Re: adventurous setup

Post by jesse »

Just to be clear, you are running SL "standalone" with JACK, correct?

Can you describe in more detail how SL goes crazy when you make or try to use the last bindings? Also go to the Preferences midi bindings tab and save the bindings, and paste the contents (just a text file) here.
a.bruno2

Post by a.bruno2 »

Yes, I'm using SL standalone with Jack, and... It works!?!? Oh my God!!! Now it WORKS!!!
I suspect there was a wrong setting of an expression pedal trying to control the feedback, which in fact didn't work; I removed it and set it up again properly and everything now works perfectly.
This is stunning, I'm glad, my wife tells my I just regressed into childhood.
Thanks for your wonderful work!
very best

Al
stardust

Post by stardust »

I've just got a very similar setup going with my iMac - I'm using a single USB connection from my VG-99 for MIDI and (bidirectional) audio. I also have the FC-300 connected via RRC2, and was also puzzled as to why I was having trouble receiving MIDI CC messages for a while; until I realised it was, um... user error (with the MIDI assignments in the VG-99).

How are you finding it? I love having the looping working with a manageable amount of cabling. Layering the sounds is amazing! Using the VG-99 editor to experiment at the same time is awesome.

I am reluctant though to divert many of the FC-300's controls to controlling looping, as I like using it to control VG-99 parameters. I am planning to just acquire a bunch of external control pedals and use those - possibly overkill, as the FC-300 is already a bit of a beast for floorspace as-is. I may also dust off my old GT-6 I never got around to selling when I upgraded, and see whether it fits the bill.

But mainly I just wanted to say "Neat! I'm using the same configuration too!".