Midi learn not learning

Talk about your MIDI bindings and controller setup

Moderator: jesse

philomell

Midi learn not learning

Post by philomell »

I'm a complete SL newbie, so apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. I've read the docs and looked at other comments on the forum, but if my question is addressed, then I must have missed it.

Setup - Logic Express, using SL 1.6.13 as an AU plugin. SL is set up as an insert on an aux bus. Keyboard is coming in through a USB midi interface, actually through a BCR2000. Playing notes works fine to start SL recording, so I assume midi input is ok in general.

But when I right click on one of the buttons, like record, and click Learn MIDI binding, nothing happens. I'm assuming that it's expecting me to press some button or turn some knob on the BCR2000? When I do that (or press a key on the keyboard), it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill
jesse

Re: Midi learn not learning

Post by jesse »

Have you tried learning when sending a note event? It is possible that Logic is filtering the midi and not letting everything through to the plugin. Just a guess though. If note events seem to work coming in via the keyboard (thru the BCR), try configuring the BCR to send a note event for a button press... just to see if Logic might be filtering it.
philomell

Post by philomell »

No luck, I'm afraid... I set up the BCR to send a note on a button press, and when I press it after clicking 'learn midi' in SL, Logic plays the note and nothing shows up in SL's midi bindings.
jesse

Post by jesse »

I guess I misunderstood your first message then, when exactly did you get any midi events that worked when you said:
"Playing notes works fine to start SL recording, so I assume midi input is ok in general."
??
philomell

Post by philomell »

I just meant that when I set SL to start recording on some threshold greater than -infinity, playing a note starts recording. But now that I think about it, it's the audio level that's starting recording, not receiving a midi note, right? So I guess as far as I can tell, SL doesn't see any midi events at all. Is there a way to tell for sure?
jesse

Post by jesse »

Check out this thread, it explains how you want to set up SL in Logic:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61#p488
philomell

Post by philomell »

That did it! Thanks!! :D

Once you know how, it's almost too easy!