Setup feasibility/advice

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

pointfive

Setup feasibility/advice

Post by pointfive »

I'm putting together a setup to use Sooperlooper in a live setting, and would like some feedback on whether my expectations are reasonable. Here's my plan:

I've been using a Boss RC-20 for some years, and am upgrading my setup to address the limitations I've encountered. Some important things I need this setup to do:

1) Be able to hear a click track in the headphones/monitor out ONLY. (for my drummer, mostly)
2) Begin playback of the initial loop immediately, with no delay (my RC-20 will "hiccup" as it quickly calculates the tempo).
3) Fade a given loop out (just on/off is no good).
4) Not crap out in the middle of a show. :D

Can someone offer some advice about whether I'll be able to do these things with Sooperlooper, and give any advice about the setup I'm planning to use. I have more detailed questions but I'll save them for later. Thanks so much!
sam_square

Re: Setup feasibility/advice

Post by sam_square »

I can't find the midi control to fade a single loop out(I'd like to know how to do it btw). You can fade the whole mix out - but the plugin isn't multi output.

That seems to put rule out your click, unless you pan it to one side and don't route that side to the audience.

Are you thinking of using some host in Linux for routing? I'm on mac, so I can't help you there - but I'm using an application that can do routing with busses.

Everything else seems doable.
jesse

Re: Setup feasibility/advice

Post by jesse »

You should be able to adjust the output of each loop, using its output level parameter (sometimes called 'wet' in the bindings). sam_square, I'm not sure what mainstage has done with regards to routing but both the standalone and the AU plugin as used within Live can redirect the individual loop outputs via side-chaining.