Syncing audio loops

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

meunkiboy

Syncing audio loops

Post by meunkiboy »

Should i be able to sync audio only loops or do i need to set up a midi click track?

I've never used a looper before - hw or sw but i'm hoping to use this as a practise tool for guitar,
so i want to record a progression as the main loop and then work ideas on other loops.

I just downloaded & built the latest version of sl for linux (1.6.13) and i'm running it on ubuntu studio 9.04 with qjackctl for routing.
i think everything is working ok except i can't get any kind of sync between loops.

i tried setting sync to loop1 quantise to cycle and checking sync & play sync for the loops (also set round bpm to integer in prefs) but i didn't
get any kind of sync between loops - i think my triggering is reasonably tight - approx .25 sec difference in loop lengths - also recording seems
to start as soon as i select record, rather than when loop 1 re-triggers / starts over

a pointer would be much appreciated
hermeschris

Re: Syncing audio loops

Post by hermeschris »

I have exactly the same problem. On the same system. :(
hermeschris

Post by hermeschris »

ok ... I downgraded now to 1.0.8c: now it works. I compiled the new package myself, though most probably sooperlooper was missing something since synching is not working in the 1.6.14 release.
Any hints or guesses what might have gone wrong?
meunkiboy

Post by meunkiboy »

Well i managed to get the syncing to work - by doing a fresh install of ubuntu, enabling third party repositories & proposed & unsupported updates in software soureces
then allowing the update manager to do its thing............
and then following a thread i found in the ubuntu forums
(searched on 'sooperlooper' then this thread 'Newer Source Version than Repository Version' - studiesinsound)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... operlooper
the key element is installing a package called 'build-essential' that sorts out all the dependancies for you
I had already tried this, but only after failing to assemble all the bits myself - hence the fresh install
i have no idea if it was necessary to enable the third party sources etc also i'm sure there's a less drastic way to clean up than doing a fresh install
unfortunately for me i'm not clued up enough to be able to do these things the easy way........ on the plus side i thinks its going to have been worth
the effort - it looks like a great application!
one thing i have noticed is that once 'rel sync' has been enabled for a particular loop, then that loop always behaves as though rel sync is enabled