Loop Middle of Multiplied Phrase?

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

kipjones

Loop Middle of Multiplied Phrase?

Post by kipjones »

Hello!

I am just getting into SooperLooper. What a fantastic piece of software! I already feel my musical imagination challenged by the breadth of possibility.

Among other techniques I'm practicing, I'd like to learn how to capture a middle cycle of an already-multiplied loop. In the documentation for SL and for the Echoplex, it seems this happens by issuing the command [multiply] before the beginning of the first and the end of the last cycle one desires to capture. (Incl. screenshot of Echoplex manual below) I'm on AVLinux 5.0.3, and each time I try this (with quantize=loop), I find the result ALWAYS contains the first cycle, whether or not I want to include it.

If what I'm trying to do is possible, how should I proceed?

Cheers,
Kip
Attachments
LoopTheMiddle.jpg
LoopTheMiddle.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 28944 times
kasbah

Re: Loop Middle of Multiplied Phrase?

Post by kasbah »

Hmm, I am not sure, maybe this is one of the points where the SL implementation differs from the Echoplex. I will do some testing when I get a chance. Have you tried out what happens when you set quantize to cycle or off?
kipjones

Post by kipjones »

No matter what I set the quantize to, my shortened (already multiplied) loop begins with the first cycle regardless of which cycle I select. With the rounding off and quantize=loop, however, audio from the selected cycle (say, cycle 7) began popping in about halfway through the first cycle, which leads me to suspect a bug rather than a difference of implementation. I'm on 1.6.14, so I'll try and update to 1.6.18 and take it from there.
kipjones

Post by kipjones »

I take it back; I'm a bit scared to monkey with SL's dependent libraries in AVLinux (SL 1.6.18 needs a newer version of wx widgets), I just installed it last week, and as I understand it updating lots of libraries isn't a good idea, as it's all balanced for the realtime kernel. So I'm not going to switch. There are plenty of other features to explore first, anyway.

Please let me know if you can capture a middle cycle on your rig though, I'm curious to know whether or not it's possible. Cheers!
Anny

Post by Anny »

Haven't been on the boards in a bit but I caught this and wanted to say it would be INCREDIBLE if this was addressed. It's one of the main characteristics of the EDP that sooperlooper doesn't do and while it may seem like a small detail it's incredibly powerful. I'd also like to point out the that on the EDP you can initiate multiply at any point in the cycle - not just at the top of the cycle - so the beginning of the new loop is in an "imperfect place" but will still round out as a quantized phrase.

That function would be at the top of my wishlist. (Being able to change pitch unsing the AU version and more sidechain inputs as an AU for Ableton would be a close 2nd though....)
Anny

Post by Anny »

Also wanted to be clear - while pressing multiply on the EDP technically creates a new start point on top of being to multiply where ever pressed in the cycle, the loop doesn't shift to that start point unless the loop is stopped and started again or until the equivalent of "once" of "trig" is pressed.
kasbah

Post by kasbah »

I will keep this in mind and have a closer look when I get around to re-writing the core functionality.