Problem w/ controlling two loops with one MIDI command

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

stopthebus

Problem w/ controlling two loops with one MIDI command

Post by stopthebus »

So I have it setup so that my vocals and guitar both go into SL (from Ableton). They are on two different loops, (vocals on Loop1 and guitar on Loop2) and so they have different inputs/ouputs.

I have the MIDI commands set up so that one button can tell both Loop1 and Loop2 to "record" and "overdub" and so on, so it is pressing those buttons simultaneously. I have SL set so that everything syncs to Loop1, the vocals, and I have sync and play sync checked next to Loop1 and Loop2.

The problem: sometimes when I hit record, and both things record audio, and then I hit overdub --- Loop1 switches into overdub mode, and plays what I just recorded (like it should). But Loop2 reads "waiting for sync", and doesn't go to overdub mode right away, it stays in "record" mode. It waits til the next cycle, and then it switches into overdub mode. This is a problem because sometimes I'm only wanting to loop guitar stuff, and my vocal channel is just recording empty space. Then when I hit overdub, and expect to hear the guitar audio coming through, i don't hear anything, unless i wait til the next cycle hits then it comes through.

The weird thing is that this only happens every once in a while, it's like there's a timing threshold that i'm near, so that sometimes the guitar goes right into overdub but sometimes it waits and doesn't do it right away.

Any ideas?
JeffHendricks

Re: Problem w/ controlling two loops with one MIDI command

Post by JeffHendricks »

Make sure you have "odub quant" unchecked in the main window, your overdub command shouldn't be doing that. How do you do your flow in a normal song? Maybe we can reproduce it.
jedics

Post by jedics »

so this is a recent post, is this software still alive?

No new release in over 2 years! I guess that is my answer, pity.....

I tried it out briefly but it didnt seem to work properly for me and when I came here there hadnt been a post in the last 6 months.

Im really looking for a better looper than the one in ableton and this one 'looks' like the best one for mac.
jesse

Post by jesse »

It is still alive. There have been a few bugfixes and very minor features in the latest releases. Chen the download page of the main site. I admit that my attentions have been focused elsewhere and not much changes around here, but it isn't dead.

Post your issues!
cyberlfip

Post by cyberlfip »

jedics wrote:so this is a recent post, is this software still alive?

No new release in over 2 years! I guess that is my answer, pity.....

I tried it out briefly but it didnt seem to work properly for me and when I came here there hadnt been a post in the last 6 months.

Im really looking for a better looper than the one in ableton and this one 'looks' like the best one for mac.
It is the best one, you should let us know what kind of issues you are having the community does stay pretty active (this is my second go round). You are not alone on your views of abelton.
jedics

Post by jedics »

hehe 5 months for another reply

at this rate I should be able to resolve my problems with sooper by the time im 90 :)

I tried assigning midi in sooper but just couldnt get it to be controllable via my fsb1010, Im no expert but gave it a real try a few times and it just didnt want to happen.

not very descriptive I know but I read the manual a bit and got the jist of how it needed to be done (once I realized the gui couldnt be used to assign)

Before we get into this, could someone explain how well sooper works with say ableton eg. if I start with sooper and make a loop then I want to start some premade loops in ableton they wont sink up will they, because ableton cant read soopers start point?

So the only way around this is to put my pre made loops into sooper?

Its such a pity ableton didnt quite bother to finish of its looper as the way you can start a song with a live loop and have everything sync to that is awesome 'in theory'.... I say this because it doesnt often work with my machine but the lack of control of individual loops is a huge limitation, whats the point of a software looper if you dont even have multiple undo's, much less individual control of their volume, effects, when on or off etc....