Using sidechain outputs in Live

Describe your looping workflow

Moderator: jesse

faelucho

Using sidechain outputs in Live

Post by faelucho »

I'm new at this forum, and I've been using SL for about a week now, recently controlling it with a Roland FC200 to control Ableton Live 7.0. I think I've got a lot of it working properly since I've been reading a lot of the posts in the forum. Still having a problem with the individual outputs of SL and using them in a side chain in Live.

1 I've setup four audio tracks: 1-SL, 2-Guitar A, 3-Nord modular, 4-Guitar B. These three instrument tracks are receiving audio from the external device( fireface800) and sending the audio to the SL track to the seperate Inputs it has available. First of all there only appear to be three sets of stereo ins in SL 3/4, 5/6, 7/8. so if I use more than 3 loops the fourth and fifth respond to the main 1/2 ( at least that's what I think). Now the confusion begins when I go to the audio track where SL is set and in the "audio from" I'm not sure what to choose being that I want all of the instruments to get to the SL and it seems as if they automatically being sent to the different loops but the audo track itself has the possibility to receive audio too?

2 Now there's something else I'm figuring out, the monitoring of Live and the SL. The instrument tracks have to be set to MON IN otherwise it wouldn't sound right?Let's say I'm playing the guitar and it receives from EXT IN 7 and sends to SL 3/4, so the guitar is set to MON IN and the Audio track for the SL is set to MON IN what happens to the monitor signal flowinside the SL, I see the MAIN IN MON receiving signal but by default is set to 0, and the individual loop IN MON is also set to cero but that way there's no signal coming out of the loop. can anyone please explain ow the monitoring in SL works, this afects completely the way the loop sound while playing the instrument and after while the oop just plays.

This is a doubt about the using effects from Live before going to the SL. I've got a delay set on the Guitar B track, and the timing sounds just about right while playing but after recording the loop the playback is all out of time, does this have to do with the monitoring, is this even possible (using effects from live before the loop)? Yesterday while dong some tests I got it to work but I'm not sure how I did it and woldpreferr to uns=derstand clearly how everything works instead of learning it by chance without knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks
faelucho

Re: Using sidechain outputs in Live

Post by faelucho »

Picture-11.jpg
Picture-11.jpg (220.42 KiB) Viewed 11871 times
this is a view of my setup, please excuse it's alittle disorganized