Adding custom loop

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderator: jesse

gtodd876

Adding custom loop

Post by gtodd876 »

I was wondering if I have 2 gigs of ram installed what would be a safe amount for the maximum loop length. I read in the manual the default is 40 secs but if you set it too high your computer will crawl.

Todd
sremington

Re: Adding custom loop

Post by sremington »

I suppose it depends on some other variables such as number of loops, mono / stereo, sample rate, etc. I'm not sure about Mac tools but in Linux I would run "top" and watch how much memory the sooperlooper process consumes as you add loops and play with the loop length. Then you can see what the max levels are that you feel comfortable with. I would also load up all of the other programs you would normally use in a single session so you can monitor your free memory and make sure you're not digging into swap.

-Seth
gtodd876 wrote:I was wondering if I have 2 gigs of ram installed what would be a safe amount for the maximum loop length. I read in the manual the default is 40 secs but if you set it too high your computer will crawl.

Todd
Coop4Music

Post by Coop4Music »

You'll never know until you try I guess :D

but really, It couldn't hurt to try maxing it out. At worst you might have to restart your computer. I bet Jesse wouldn't mind a little beta testing anyways :lol:
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

OS X demolition! I will try it out tonight and post my computer specs and results tonight.

Todd
gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 »

Mac Mini 1.66ghz 2 gigs ram
OSX 10.4.11
Ultralite

1. added a custom loop and increase the loop time to 180. (display read "mem 03:10.22)
2. Activity Monitor said I had 1.32 gigs ram still left
3. Rock solid performance
3. I checked to see my ram readout after a fresh reboot without opening any programs and its 1.52 gigs

If that means I only used .2 gigs for a three minute loop time then I guess you could use a ridiculous amount of loop time if I wanted. That's all for now I have a long drive to Atlanta in the morning. I'll post anymore tests I do up here in the future.
Coop4Music

Post by Coop4Music »

WoOt! A successful shootout! that's awesome. I had a feeling it would be able to handle 3 min of audio 8-)