Loop1 is louder than the rest

Report anything that appears to be a bug here.

Moderator: jesse

sam_square

Loop1 is louder than the rest

Post by sam_square »

When I record the same thing on loop1 and loop2, loop1 is overpowering the other. Looking at the resulting wav files, loop1 records at a higher level. Why is this?
jesse

Re: Loop1 is louder than the rest

Post by jesse »

I'm guessing that you actually *are* sending sidechain audio into loop 1's direct inputs somehow, identical to what is going in the "main ins", which would make it 6dB higher than the other track. This is a guess, I really would need to test it out with mainstage to see what the deal is with routing in there. Maybe I should watch your video :)
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

It happens while using the same input though - that's the puzzling part. I change nothing in mainstage - I just change SL to record on another track. Nothing is really changing in MainStage that I'm aware of. Know what I mean?
FearlessFreep

Post by FearlessFreep »

I can report the same results. Loop 1 seems to record louder than the rest. I noticed this tonight when pre-looping some parts for a live show. I recorded using loop 1, loop 2 and loop 3, and the wav file (and general playback even before saving) was louder on loop 1 then the other two. So I just re-recorded that part on loop 2 and saved it, and then I can load it in loop 1 and it's fine. (note I am running SL on the Bus through the AU in about the same configuration as Sam describes in his video, with minot adjustments for different instrumentation)

I'm using three backing loops throughout the show and then a lot of live recorded loops. I'm wondering if it's better to "Save Session with Audio" and have four loops in play or just load the loops I need as the show is running, as I'm not sure what overhead is involved with having a bunch of loops with files loaded and paused is
jesse

Post by jesse »

FearlessFreep wrote:I can report the same results. Loop 1 seems to record louder than the rest. I noticed this tonight when pre-looping some parts for a live show. I recorded using loop 1, loop 2 and loop 3, and the wav file (and general playback even before saving) was louder on loop 1 then the other two. So I just re-recorded that part on loop 2 and saved it, and then I can load it in loop 1 and it's fine. (note I am running SL on the Bus through the AU in about the same configuration as Sam describes in his video, with minot adjustments for different instrumentation)
Another workaround would be to lower the input gain control for loop 1 in SL by 6db (a guess).
sam_square

my solution

Post by sam_square »

I ended up figuring this out a while back but didn't post it.

I believe I had the 'main in' checkbox checked and that was causing it.
FearlessFreep

Post by FearlessFreep »

Yes, Sam, that did the trick.

I also have to be careful I realized when starting up that I remember to select a loop. If no loop is selected than when I hit 'record', all loops will record and then loop back and that *is* louder.

This is because I have my binding set to record on 'Selected'. I suppose I could set it to record on '1' and that would do the trick but I'd have to change some other process around.
andlam

Post by andlam »

jesse wrote: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:40 pm I'm guessing that you actually *are* sending sidechain audio into loop 1's direct inputs somehow, identical to what is going in the "main ins", which would make it 6dB higher than the other track. This is a guess, I really would need to test it out with mainstage to see what the deal is with routing in there. Maybe I should watch your video :)

I had the same issue in ableton Live and I've solved it eliminating the sidechain on channel 2 (looper channel) that took the signal from the Channel 1 ( live instrument ) as Jesse has advised to do.
Attachments
Schermata 2021-01-31 alle 21.43.31.png
Schermata 2021-01-31 alle 21.43.31.png (148.87 KiB) Viewed 15888 times