Multiple tracks

Using SL inside Apple's MainStage

Moderator: jesse

FearlessFreep

Multiple tracks

Post by FearlessFreep »

Hello, I just downloaded SooperLooper and watched Sam's video about using it in Mainstage

I don not have Mainstage yet but will be getting Logic 8 soon (I have Express 7 now)

My question is, I often loop multiple instrument parts but then use various effects on different loops (the effects unit comes between the instrument and the loop pedal so the loop carries the current effects setting). This is to allow better separation of the parts in the loop so it doesn't get as muddy

OK, now my question is, is it possible somehow using sooperlooper to assign different loops to different... tracks, I guess... so that I can use different effects settings on different tracks and the different loops get different effects.

Also, if that is possible, is it possible to switch what track is currently recording a loop from a MIDI controller?

Thanks
sam_square

Re: Multiple tracks

Post by sam_square »

I believe I show assigning a midi controller to activate 'select_next_loop', 'select_previous_loop' in the video - those are the commands you'll be looking for though.

You can send effected signals to SL it in mainstage - whatever effects are on your instrument track will end up in SL.

If you want to add the effects or modify them after things have been recorded, I don't think that will work. Sooperlooper works as an instrument effect for me - so I don't think it can have multiple outputs. At least not in OS X.
jesse

Post by jesse »

The AU plugin can support sidechain inputs and outputs for each loop within an instance. Some plugin hosts do not present these in a usable way. It seems that mainstage is one. Ableton Live however makes it easy to access these and route the individual outputs to other audio tracks for further processing. AU Lab is another that works. As for logic, I think it does, but I'm not sure.

jlc
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

Where should the sidechain controls be? Maybe I'm just missing them...
jesse

Post by jesse »

In mainstage or Logic, I don't know as I do not have those products. I was hoping someone had figured it out and would post. You might try the mailing list (or mailing list archive maybe, Per may have posted on this topic before).
FearlessFreep

Post by FearlessFreep »

I found a workable solution, at least for me

I have two channel strips that both take input from the same audio source. Both feed Bus1, which has SL running on it. Each Channel Strip has a different set of effects on it, giving me my different sounds.

Then I have setup an array of buttons that respond to foot controller commands. Taken together, these buttons trigger bus send level changes on the channel strips. The result being that I step on one button and Channel 1 bus send goes to 0 and Channel 2 bus send goes to -inf. I step on the second button and the reverese happens. The result being I can layer different sounds in a single loop