Trouble with fcb1010 and Ableton

Using SL inside Ableton Live

Moderator: jesse

sam_square

Trouble with fcb1010 and Ableton

Post by sam_square »

Ok, I'm about to go nuts, I've been messing with this for hours now.

I've set SL up as an effect on an audio track. I've added a midi track with the input from my footboard going to the audio track. I've pressed the 'in' button on both.

I've loaded up my SL preferences.

I press record and it records. But the second button press to stop the recording does not do anything. Likewise for every other command. The first takes effect, but the second does not.

I just decided to try midi patchbay and that works fine.

I'd like to not use it....but it seems to be the only thing that works.

One thing I've noted. The midi input is lighting up, but the 'fader' level does not jump. Only notes make it jump. Not even one little dot is lighting...except on that first press, i believe.
sam_square

Re: Trouble with fcb1010 and Ableton

Post by sam_square »

Ok, the midi router setup worked the first time I did it. Now it will not!

I'm also seeing multiple midi outputs and/or inputs for SL like SooperLooperAU_1 , _2 , _3

The only way to get rid of these is by a reboot.

And I did see the same behavior again with the footcontroller presses showing up on the 'level meters' only on the first press - I can't find out what that actually signifies though...the Ableton manual is a little light on such facts.
jesse

Post by jesse »

What midi event are you sending for these commands where the first works and the rest don't?

I don't know what to say about the multiple midi ports... its almost like they aren't getting cleaned up when you quit (or close the host) SL?

Has all this just started happening? Did things work fine before?
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

The first thing was happening with all midi events, but I do believe that notes seemed to transmit always. CCs did the one time thing.

This problem only happens in Ableton - in my 14 day trial...down to 11 days now. I haven't used Ableton for a few years - and never with SL.

Logic and mainstage don't seem to have these problems - although they have problems of their own...not with sooperlooper though.
sam_square

Post by sam_square »

Actually, Mainstage seems to not like SL - spitting out errors about drivers that need to be updated. I found a post saying that if you turn off your midi controllers and start up MS, things are fine. That works, but you lose your mappings. I think I'm settling on Logic for now....although I can't get it to follow the SL clock.
Ecchi

Post by Ecchi »

Hey all,

Did you find a way to get it to work?

I think I might be experiencing the same problems. Recently I got my very own copy of Ableton Live 8 and I'm very happy with it. However, controlling plugins with my FCB1010 isn't all that easy.

On the first press of a button (FCB1010 is sending CC's) I see the MIDI activity monitor light up, the mixer on the MIDI track light up and SooperLooper picking up the CC message (I can "learn" the CC so that's ok). On second press of the same button, only the the MIDI activity monitor lights up. So Ableton picks up the CC but the mixer on the MIDI track doesn't light up and SooperLooper isn't picking up the CC.

How do I get this to work? Is there an option in Ableton that blocks multiple CC messages with the same value? Do I use the wrong CC numbers?

Any help is much appreciated!

I'm also experiencing this problem with other plugins (Guitar Rig 4 Pro for instance) so I don't think the problem is due to SooperLooper... I'm able to get it all to work with Midi Patchbay but that leaves me with the same problem for Guitar Rig 4 Pro which doesn't have a virtual MIDI in. So unfortunately Midi Patchbay is pretty much useless for me...